Sound Library 1.3.2 on Windows 8.1

edited July 2016 in Library Questions

I made the HUGE mistake of developing on my mac machine and testing only now on the target machine, a windows 8.1 computer. My code doesn't work and it's clearly an error of the Sound Library (I am trying to run the examples that come with the library itself and they crash too). "Target VM failed to initialised" if I try to run any of the example sketches.

Now I am confused because in the GitHub of the library it's written that it's only MacOSX and Linux, but then I find people reporting other type of errors but on Windows, as they were able to run it. Plus, on the release note of the 1.3.2 version it's clearly state they fixed some windows related problem.

What's the status of this library? Is it supposed to work on Processing 64-bit, and on Windows 8.1? If not, is there any type of workaround? I am reading that maybe downgrading it to 1.2.1 could work but I wasn't able to install it. Thanks for the support

Tagged:

Answers

• What examples are you referring to specifically? Maybe post some sample code so people can see what you mean and what you would like to do. Maybe there could be some other options available that people has tried out before. It is important to know exactly what you want to accomplish though.

Kf

• I am referring to the examples that are coming with the library itself. In order to narrow down the problem I put away my code and try to run them, and it looks like there is some compatibility problem with Windows

• It depends on what you're trying to do but I always find the minim library is less hassle.

• Hey

I have windows 8.1 64 bit, processing 3.1.1 64 bit and the following code runs fine from the sound library>>Soundfile>sample>>sample.pde, :

/*
    This is a sound file player. 
    */

import processing.sound.*;

SoundFile soundfile;

void setup() {
        size(640,360);
        background(255);

//Load a soundfile
        soundfile = new SoundFile(this, "vibraphon.aiff");

// These methods return useful infos about the file
        println("SFSampleRate= " + soundfile.sampleRate() + " Hz");
        println("SFSamples= " + soundfile.frames() + " samples");
        println("SFDuration= " + soundfile.duration() + " seconds");

// Play the file in a loop
        soundfile.loop();
    }      

void draw() {
      // Map mouseX from 0.25 to 4.0 for playback rate. 1 equals original playback 
      // speed 2 is an octave up 0.5 is an octave down.
      soundfile.rate(map(mouseX, 0, width, 0.25, 4.0)); 

// Map mouseY from 0.2 to 1.0 for amplitude  
      soundfile.amp(map(mouseY, 0, width, 0.2, 1.0)); 

// Map mouseY from -1.0 to 1.0 for left to right 
      soundfile.pan(map(mouseY, 0, width, -1.0, 1.0));  
    }

Kf

• You could try minim as koogs suggests. Add the library and run the examples.

Kf