How to use browsing data.

edited October 2017 in Arduino

Let's say I want to make some sort of program together with Arduino that can track websites the user uses. Is there someway to either: use the browsing history or the website usage realtime, and use this in Processing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Tagged:

Answers

• I guess that you could browse the files and find the google chrome history files. not sure if that is possible though

• I did something like that once with a proxy. You can write a simple proxy with mitmproxy.py (https://github.com/mitmproxy/mitmproxy) that saves or sends you the urls that pass through. You will just have to set your browser to use the proxy and you can get the realtime browsing information.

• edited April 2016

Okay so: I downloaded a chrome app that stores web browsing data. This saves me some time. Basically this app generates a file in Localstorage from chrome. Now I found a way to check this localstorage file for strings and export the websites. The only problem is that processing doesn't seem to convert the file very well after a while.

My current code:

void setup() {

String lines[] = loadStrings("/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Local Storage/chrome-extension_mokmnbikneoaenmckfmgjgjimphfojkd_0.localstorage");
    String onelongstring = join(lines," ");

int i1 = onelongstring.indexOf("{");
    onelongstring = onelongstring.substring(i1);
    int i2 = onelongstring.indexOf("}");

String sub = onelongstring.substring(0,i2+1);
    print(sub);
    saveStrings("nouns.txt", lines);
    }

It works pretty great with the "Time Tracker" chrome app. Only after a while the text seems to be corrupted.

i�l�l�a�.�o�r�g�"�:�6�.�9�9�4�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�9�,�"�h�t�t�p�:�/�/�a�n�s�w�e�r�s�.�u� n�i�t�y�3�d�.�c�o�m�"�:�0�.�6�7�7�,�"�h�t�t�p�s�:�/�/�f�o�r�u�m�.�p�r�o�c�e�s �s�i�n�g�.�o�r�g�"�:�1�3�.�0�8�2�}

Is this a good way to tackle the problem?

Greetings.

• highlight code, press ctrl-o