Input noise when using an external sound card with the Minim library on Raspberry PI

edited March 2016 in Raspberry PI

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to create a live visualiser for my dissertation that takes input from a microphone and compiles visuals from the audio data using Processing and the Minim library. Everything works fine, i can get very low latency visual response from the audio input (when i tap the microphone the visuals respond accordingly.)

The issue is that there is ALOT of noise coming from somewhere. I'm not sure if it's a sample rate issue (i think i read somewhere that Raspberry PI's operate at a lower sample rate, but i wouldn't have though that aliasing would have produced that much noise and the noise is constant.) Or it could be electrical interference from ground loops?

I would buy a new sound card to see if that works but the Java framework is very fiddly with which sound cards it wants to recognise (i had to plug in 3 or 4 different sound cards and only one worked.)

Has anyone got experience with having a noisy audio input on processing and fixed it? Or does anyone have a list of processing/raspberry PI compatible sound cards that work with Java straight out of the box?

It's given me many headaches.

Thanks, Charles