Processing won't run sketch at school but it runs at home. wtf?

edited January 2016 in Using Processing

I have...

-Macbook pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 -Processing 3.0.1 -Java 8 update 71

// Problem: Processing will run the sketch and show me sketch with new window from HOME. BUT when I'm at SCHOOL run button will turn gray when I run it, but it won't run. no display window nor error code on the bottom.

huh?

It doesn't make sense... lol I mean is there something that have to do with school wifi?

Answers

• There was an answer yesterday that suggests it's network related.

https://forum.processing.org/two/discussion/comment/60342/#Comment_60342

I would suggest turning off the check for update option before changing the proxy settings though.

• didn't work for me..

• All I can think of is if you save the file as an .exe and do that every time you change or edit the code. That's all I can think of mate.

• Talk to your school IT people. If they are using any decent network monitoring or firewall software, they should be able to see your IP and any port issues being caused. I've done school network security and it can be pretty draconian. Cheers.

• edited February 2016

*update: I went to see my school IT Technicians and they didn't see anything wrong. They were also curious about what is causing it.

Found another symptom. Even when I'm home if I disconnect the internet, sketch won't run. I reconnect the internet and run processing program and run sketch, sketch window pops up. Does Processing requires internet to operate?

Thanks for your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it!

• It checks for updates, which you can turn off. There's also some comment in the main FAQ about other data being sent but it's not obvious as to whether that's conditional.

• I remember there were quite a few similar problems reported by Windows users when Processing 3 first launched. I wonder whether this solution might work?