Using speaker output as input for p5.sound.js

Hi there!

I want to analyze the songs I'm playing on my PC, for example, listening to something on Youtube and generating it's FFT. So that means I need to use the output (speakers) as an input for the FFT. I've been looking up the reference but I can't see how to access the output. In Minim for Processing the equivalent was Minim.STEREO.

Another thing I have realized, is that when running the sketch all audio I was playing in my browser goes quieter, like when I receive a Skype call. Is there a way to change this so it doesn't happen?

This is what I have so far but it doesn't work, any help would be greatly appreciated:

var audioSignal;

function setup() {

smooth();  
  background(0);

audioSignal = new p5.AudioIn()
  audioSignal.connect();
  audioSignal.start();

fft = new p5.FFT();
  fft.setInput(audioSignal);

var spectrum = fft.analyze(); 

print(spectrum);
}

function draw() {

}

Answers

• Hello SimplyEnvision !

From what I've seen in the audioIn reference page you can't set a specific source in the code, it will be selected once the code execute and in different manners depending on the browser ( some browsers don't even support it ).

I guess as a static solution ( if you want to run this only on a specific computer ) you could use the listSource() function to try and identify your speakers ID to use in setSource(ID).

• Hey! Thank you for your help!

What if the sound was playing in another browser window, would that change anything? Is there any way of accessing that audio easier?

Cheers!