Virtual keyboard in Java mode for touchscreen

edited October 2015 in Library Questions

Hi there guys,

I'm in the default Java mode. Am using Control P5 for text fields eg: User input for Email address. I can do this via any keyboard (hardware).

However, for a touch screen based app, I would need to provide the user with a virtual Keyboard. Is there a library for this or am I better off creating my own keyboard with key press events? (a bit more time consuming).

Please point me in the right direction. In my searches, I seem to be finding solutions only for android mode on the forums. This will run in Windows 7 64 bit on a PC. Thanks!

Cheers,

Deano

Answers

• Windows comes with an on-screen keyboard. Just do a search in the start menu for "keyboard" and it should be in there.

If that doesn't suit your needs for some reason, I'm sure there are a ton of third part options.

You could also create your own using Processing, but that sounds like more work than it's worth. Up to you though.

• Thanks Kevin... I probably will try and create my own in Processing... will be a good exercise. Not too sure if I can devote that much time right now though.

However, am quite interesting in any 3rd party options or any libraries like Control P5, etc that can generate the same for you. Do let me know in case you know of any. Thanks!

• No, GUI libraries aren't going to be able to automatically generate an on-screen keyboard.

Those libraries just give you the ability to create clickable buttons, etc. You can do that yourself in Processing, or you can use the code written by the authors of the libraries.

So all a GUI library would give you is the ability to make each letter on the keyboard. You'd still have to position them and set up the code that actually types a letter in your sketch when each was clicked.

If I were you I'd really try to just use the keyboard that Windows comes with, or try to download one from a reputable source.

• You can start here if you want. This is my old code that I wrote few years back.

http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/111851

Hope this might help you :)