the hurdles of updating

edited August 2015 in Using Processing

Hi there

ouch ! the joy and sorrow of software tools updates :S

What !? my favourite tool is gonna have a new-faster-slicker-better renderer, a tremendously handy Tweak Mode feature, Auto-complete and a classy new interface !! :D

Yet, each time I see an version increment in my tools I get nervous. Scared. I think retro-compatibility, adjustment work and, most of all, lost realizations.

Do you guys know a piece of work somewhere, text or video, that could help easing the transition and ease the fears of, for instance, jumping to 3.0 ? Something that will talk to us creative code kind of people ?

Do I have to update, even before 3.0 gets out of beta ?

How to update my Eclipse settings and projects ? (the actual update, the Applet thing...)

Should you keep old 2.0 code in a place where you keep Processing 2.0 as well ?

Is there a life after 2.0 ? ;)

cheers to you all, the great people who make Processing :D

Comments

• fryfry
    edited August 2015

We're trying to keep this page up to date while also doing the work to implement the things we're writing about.

That said, we hope to have better documentation in the coming weeks.

The main change for Eclipse is that your size() command should move from setup() to a new method called settings(). See examples here. Other than that, most things should run unchanged in Eclipse.

• edited August 2015

It was a mistake pushing the beta as the main download so soon.
    Before having a good documentation at least.
    It's gonna take a while before folks and even me get used to it.
    I can only hope that folks who bring questions to the forum tell which version they're using...