Disable fullscreen keyboard

edited March 2016 in Android Mode

I want to disable the fullscreen keyboard in Android mode but cannot figure out how.

What I really want to disable is the fullscreen text input box.

I found a few articles, here is one that seems most useful.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4336762/disabling-the-fullscreen-editing-view-for-soft-keyboard-input-in-landscape

To enter text I am using this example from APWidgets. https://code.google.com/p/apwidgets/wiki/APEditText_Advanced_example

Tagged:

Answers

• I'm not quite sure what you mean. You want to show/hide the text input box, and also show/hide the keyboard?

I extended the APWidgets example earlier; maybe this helps? http://unixlab.sfsu.edu/~whsu/csc690/P5AndroidEx/APEditTextExample.pde

• Sorry I wasn't clear. The keyboard is fine but when I tap into the text box in landscape mode it goes full screen and covers my UI no matter how big I make it in the APWidges code.

It works perfectly in portrait though.

Phil

• Hmm, so when you tap in the text box in landscape mode, you'd like the keyboard to pop up, but in a smaller size?

Bill

• It's the textbox that goes full screen, not the keyboard.

Say I have a 200x200 text box, in portrait mode it stays 200x200 but in landscape when I tap in the text box it becomes the full width of the screen.

• That's really weird. What Android device are you running on?

I tried the original APEditText example on my 1st generation Nexus 7 running 4.4.x. The text fields look fine in both landscape and portrait mode. I'm using Processing 2.2.1.

Bill

• I will check the OS version and send a little video showing the issue.

Thanks.

• Here is a video that shows the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbfi9aro25uhdl3/textField.mp4?dl=0

You will see that when I tap into the text box it takes over the full screen.

I'm using Android 4.4.4

Phil

• Also wondering how to change the size of the font in the text box...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

• That's pretty weird. Hmm.

Which version of Processing are you running? I'm using 2.2.1 on MacOS 10.9.

On changing the font size, I don't see anything in the APWidgets examples. But looking at the source code, I'd try something like textField.setTextSize(??). There's of course lots of issues with specifying absolute size in pixels vs. scaling etc...

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Bill

• The font size worked GREAT. I'm running the same Processing and OS as you.

One last question.. currently the text starts typing in the vertical center of the text box (I am doing multiline) any idea how to start it at the top of the text field?

thanks

• Answer ✓

Good to hear the font size change worked.

I looked quickly but didn't see a way to change the text alignment. If you're typing in multi-line text, doesn't the text just scroll up inside the text box?

In any case, the files to check are /Documents/Processing/libraries/apwidgets/src/apwidgets/APEditText.java /Documents/Processing/libraries/apwidgets/src/apwidgets/APTextView.java

Bill

• Answer ✓

I'm still mystified by the text box resize behavior, when orientation changes. Phil, when you run the APWidgets example and print out the width and height, do they look reasonable for both landscape and portrait orientations?

By the way, it's not that difficult to code a usable text field, if you want to go that route. I hacked a serviceable single-line one recently for OpenFrameworks, to (you guessed it) get around some platform-specific weirdness. I think the trickiest part for a multi-line text field is how to compute the mapping of the mouse click inside the text field, to the position of the cursor relative to the text. I'd make some restrictions on text box dimensions and specify monospaced fonts only, for starters.

(Have you tried emailing the APWidgets author?)

• hmmm. Interesting it seems like a problem with phones only.. I tried my tablet and it worked fine....

• @philspitler= why are you using APWidgets lib??? - You can easily do what you want importing the EditText class from android and setting all what you want: text size, fonts, fontStyle, number of lines, textColor and so on... Of course you can also set the position of the textEdit layout, its width, its height. As for the other problem there are 2 solutions a) you lock the phone in portrait orientation b) you try to manage the config changes (when it happens you change on runtime the params for your TextEdit layout): as for that you add config changes to your manifest = android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden"