Display last sentence of inputted text.

HI folks,

I have a processing sketch which uses text inputted by the user via keyboard and then cycles through 3 screens (screen 0, 1 and 2). What I want is that when it returns to screen one, the last sentence of the previous user's text displays and the next user types after it (sort of like a chain story).

String myText = "Your story..."; //text that displays initially on Screen 0 String yourText = ""; // Variable to store text currently being typed String savedText = ""; // Variable to store saved text when RETURN is hit

Hitting RETURN advances the sketch to the next screen where text is manipulated and also saved out a .txt file

At the end of Screen 2, I want it to return to Screen 0 - but instead of displaying 'myText', I want it to display the last sentence of 'yourText' or 'savedText' (which are the same text).

I think I would have to search for the last occurrance of a period+space, then make yourText = whatever text appears after that period+space.

I know 'search' can locate the idex of the first instance of particular characters, but not sure how I would get it to locate the last instance. Is there a way I can get it to search the string from end to beginning, instead of beginning to end...or am I making this too complicated? Any help, gratefully accepted.

ON a separate note, since I changed the keyPressed to RETURN from CONTROL, all my characters are displaying twice. Any advice on that is welcome too.

Text input part of code below:

void keyPressed() {
  if (keyCode == BACKSPACE) {
    if (yourText.length() > 0) {
      yourText = yourText.substring(0, yourText.length()-1);
    }
      } else if (keyCode == DELETE) {
        yourText = "";
      } else if (keyCode != SHIFT && keyCode != CONTROL && keyCode != RETURN && keyCode != ENTER && keyCode != ALT) {
        myText = "";
        yourText = yourText + key;
      }

// If the Return key is pressed save the String and write it to text file
    //if (key == CODED) 
    //{
    if (key == RETURN )  {
      savedText = yourText;
      textFile = createWriter("stories/"+timestamp()+".txt");
      textFile.println(savedText);
      textFile.flush();
      textFile.close();
      time = millis();//store the current time
      rect (0,0,width, height); //PROBLEM sometimes visible when screen is switched.
      noStroke ();
      currentScreen++;
  if (currentScreen > 2) { currentScreen = 0; } //switches to next screen

} 

else {
      // Otherwise, concatenate the String
      // Each character typed by the user is added to the end of the String variable.
      yourText = yourText + key;
    }
  //}
}

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• I've already answered part of your question at your crosspost here, but it sounds like you just want an ArrayList of Strings to keep track of previous sentences.