Help needed for a Simple real time time graph!

Hi everybody, I'm new to Processing so please bear with me.

I want to sketch a simple graph in Processing. I'm reading data from my Arduino to Processing through the Serial port. Arduino's sensor sends random increments over a long period of time (It's a sensor which basically counts the number of visitors to an expo) I just want a graph that increments according to the data being sent from Arduino. About 10,000 visitors are expected so I would need the x co ordinates accordingly. The y axis should be time and min and max coordinates: 0 hours to 30 hours

The key elements I'm looking for is:

1) The Processing graph should be able to STORE/SAVE the values somewhere so even after closing the program, it resumes the next day from exactly where it finished off 2) x axis (number of people) co ordinates (min to max) should be 0 to 10,000 people y axis (time) co ordinates min to max should be 0 to 30 hours

I realize this is probably a very simple task for somebody experienced so any sort of help would be appreciated. I'm a complete beginner! Thanks in advance.

Answers

• edited May 2015

Well, what do you need help with? Connecting to Arduino? Reading the values? Storing them? Drawing the graph? You're asking us to write the whole sketch for you, without telling us what you have working already, totally in the dark, without your data, and without your sensor.

Here's the plan: You try it. Get SOMETHING working. Maybe a blank sketch. Maybe a graph without any data plotted. Maybe a sketch that connects and reads values and prints them to the console. Maybe a sketch that generates fake data. Or saves it to and reads it from a file. Whatever.

The important thing is that you TRY and then POST THE CODE YOU HAVE.

And be sure to read the forum thread that describes how to format it, so it is readable. One section of code, copy, paste, Ctrl+o. Go.