We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Visualizing a quantum harmonic oscillator
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Visualizing a quantum harmonic oscillator (Read 2142 times)
Visualizing a quantum harmonic oscillator
May 24th, 2010, 7:33pm

Greets,

A lot of the mathematical structures in quantum mechanics are really beautiful, so I made this applet to bring some of that beauty to a general audience.  

http://anisometry.org/qho/

As you might be able to guess, this is the quantum-physical analog of a simple harmonic oscillator. It should give you at least a general idea of the wavey nature of physics at the atomic scale. Try out some different states and see what you get.

Of course I also think think this is a necessary resource for physics students (this is one of the really important basic models, for a number of reasons). At some point equations are just not sufficiently descriptive and you need to SEE what is going on.

Anyway, let me know if ya dig it! :]
Re: Visualizing a quantum harmonic oscillator
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010, 1:07am

Cliff wrote on May 24th, 2010, 7:33pm:
As you might be able to guess, this is the quantum-physical analog of a simple harmonic oscillator.

Shocked

Looks interesting; though I know little, to nothing, about quantum mechanics...

My only criticism would be that the interface feels a bit clunky: I'd expect to be able to click in one of the bars and at the very least for the bar to jump to the mouse position; and ideally to be able to drag it up and down.  Have you looked at the controlP5 library  It would take a bit more work to set up, but well worth the time...
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2010, 9:00am

Very nice! How did you display the character psi? With symbol font?
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2010, 9:46am

looks like he is loading an image. It has a different background color than the rest.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1