We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Can't associate .pde with Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Can't associate .pde with Processing (Read 1707 times)
Can't associate .pde with Processing
Apr 27th, 2010, 10:01am

Hi all,

Very new to processing, on a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7.

Through a dopey mis-click, I associated .pde with Acrobat.  Went to change it, and am unable to get Processing into my list of possible programs for association -- whether I do it through the "Open With ..." or the more complete "Default Programs."  I browse to Processing, choose it, click "Open," and it doesn't appear in my list of programs.

Is this something anyone has come across?  (I did a forum search, no dice.)  Any suggestions?

It's pretty annoying having to drag every sketch on top of the application...

Many thanks,
James

Re: Can't associate .pde with Processing
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2010, 11:22am

Not sure in Windows 7 but in XP double click My Computer to open Windows explorer select Folder Options from the Tools menu and click on the File Types tab. You can change file associations there.

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2010, 2:44pm

Thanks Quark.  Did a little more research on my own and discovered that this is a bit of a bug in Windows 7.  Will answer my own question in case anyone else comes along with the same problem:

The program that you're pointing to isn't registered correctly.

In regedit: Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name.
Navigate under its name to shell>open>command. In the Default change its location to the actual location of the executable, hit okay and then try and reassociate the file type as you normally would.

Cheers,
James

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2010, 2:18am

For a simpler solution, use one of my Installers;

http://www.mediafire.com/ProcessingInstallers

Did you know that the Processing application is meant to force file-associations?

Other ways to do file associations;
- Right Click (Open-With)
- Command-Line
- Registry
- API
- Scripting-Language

Best of luck to you,

Alec Taylor
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1