We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Advice on good Processing books
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Advice on good Processing books? (Read 1956 times)
Advice on good Processing books?
Apr 22nd, 2010, 6:44am

Hi,
I am about to start my final Uni project, and I have chosen to explore the world of data handling & visualization.

For this project I have decided to develop a piece using processing (obviously) and various web services and API's such as the national rail web service in the UK to develop an interactive train map which shows live updates of the movement of its various train services across the UK, plotted onto a map.

This piece is intended to mainly be a generative art piece, as there will be little interaction from users, and the visuals created would be solely dependent on the data from the web services.

Anyway, rant over, my question is, does anyone have any advice on what books on processing would help with this project? are there any in particular that relate to this project? I have worked with processing before, but realistically I am a complete beginner, so from the ground up would be good.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

Justin
Re: Advice on good Processing books?
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:50am

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:48am

Hi, Yeah ive seen the books on the site, but is there a particular one that might be more useful?

Thanks
Justin
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:17am

Visualizing Data sounds most relevant to the project. That book assumes that you already know the basics of how to program.
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2010, 12:26am

If you have little or no programming experience, i'd suggest the "Learning Processing" book as a good starting point, followed by the Data Viz book suggested once you get to grips with it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1