We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Caffeine - Advanced UI library
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Caffeine - Advanced UI library (Read 2837 times)
Caffeine - Advanced UI library
Apr 22nd, 2010, 2:48pm

So today I'd like to announce the availability of my Caffeine user interface library. It's something I've actively been working on in my free time for over a year now, and I'm even still somewhat reluctant to set it free because I still consider it alpha software, however I know I could use some feedback and help tracking bugs.

Distribution:
http://jackkern.com/caffeine

Source:
http://github.com/ElectricJack/caffeine

Some highlights:
- Nestable windows and controls
- Ability to have an infinite scrollable desktop
- The infinite desktop can be zoomed with the scroll wheel
- Windows can be scaled and rotated
- Controls receive input coordinates in their local space, so it's easy to port processing apps into controls
- File menus
- Integrated command system (Still work in progress)
- Skinnable Windows/Frames
- Very robust Vector2 and Vector3 classes, as well as several other nice geometric classes (Line2, AABounds2 etc..)

My goal with this library is to make something that really empowers processing users to take their apps to the next level, especially for multi-touch apps that processing seems so well suited for.

Some downsides I hope to fix eventually:
- Some elements of this library rely on using the OpenGL renderer (like the skinning support)
- I'm still in active development on the library so I expect interfaces to change, which will probably break your programs with future updates. I am not planning on maintaining backwards compatibility because I think it will limit future good solutions. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! =)

Otherwise, I think it's a pretty fun bit of code to work with, and I hope others find some use as well! I'll leave you all with a screen shot.

http://jackkern.com/caffeine/images/screenshot.png

Jack

Re: Caffeine - Advanced UI library
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:22pm

This looks very impressive and I am looking forward to seeing it evolve.

When I tried to run ii (Processing 1.1) I got a lot of errors about missing files, such as 'The file "min.png" is missing or inaccessible, make sure the URL is valid or that the file has been added to your sketch and is readable' and it seems that none of these files (images and a font file) are actually in the jar file. Maybe you've lost the data folder during the packaging?

Andreas
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:25pm

Could be, I'll see if I can fix that now.

This is my first processing library so I'm just getting used to the publishing process.
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:33pm

OK... Hopefully it will work for you now -- I uploaded the latest again with the resources packed in the jar.

It looks like my full-build process doesn't pack the data files like my command line batch files do, I'll have to update that (I'm just not as familiar with ant yet)

Thanks for the tip, let me know if you have any other issues?

Jack
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 5:50pm

Works now! Very impressive. The zoom function is just crazy!
Cheesy

Andreas
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 6:56pm

Thanks for checking it out!

Unfortunately, the text-box functionality is pretty out of wack at the moment. I had a working version but broke it as I'm trying to clean the code and add support for function folding and long text files.

I should probably just put the old code back, submit and fork for development. I'm such an open source newb.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1