We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Export Problems (Read 2233 times)
Export Problems
Apr 21st, 2010, 8:45am

hello Everyone!

I have a problem with exporting my application. I can export fine the .exe file but the index.html doesn't work and the message that appears in the browser says "Unable to create directories for the target...(my folder location")

can you find what could be the problem?any idea?

thanks a lot in advance Smiley
Re: Export Problems
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:17am

What is your system?
Have you checked rights in the implied directory?
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 7:31am

thx a lot for your response!

I am working on a mac.
I downloaded code from open processing and the index.html files that I export work properly...
so probably is not a problem of the directory.

I didn't mention that I take data from the database. Could this be a problem? and then why the .exe file works?
trying to figure out....nothing yet.. Sad
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:54am

I am a bit confused about the message you report (particularly in a browser).

But well, yes, you are hitting the good old Java security issue, a very common problem.

Applets in Web browser are much more limited than exe files, for security reasons (you have to start an exe yourself while an applet can start automatically and even hidden, as soon as you visit a page).
So if your applet is not signed, you cannot access files on the user's system, you cannot access a Web site other than the one providing the applet, you cannot access a database, read clipboard, capture video, and so on.
Beside, direct database access from an applet is a bad idea, as it is easy to find out authentication data: the usual way is to go through a server side program to do this job.
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:32am

I know what you mean...
ok thanks a lot.. I am not sure how I can do it but anyway I have the .exe Smiley
cheers!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1