We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Convert from Left-hand to Right-hand system
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Convert from Left-hand to Right-hand system (Read 1178 times)
Convert from Left-hand to Right-hand system
Apr 11th, 2010, 6:13am

hello all,
i'm really enjoying processing except for only one pity thing: Left-hand System. since i've been accustomed to 3d cad-cg system, and usual mathematics and physics with right-hand system, processing's left-hand system could be a bit confusing, just at rendering stage.

so, i have a question: is there any efficient way for converting its left-hand system to the right-hand one just for rendering. even though we could do so by drawing all with its Z axis towards the ground, "upward" in the 2d-cg term, with exchanging all of the z coordinate to minus, it could be also confusing and not efficient in terms of rendering speed...

i would be really happy if you gave me any your ideas, since this has been a long-term distress, which is only pity of processing!
Re: Convert from Left-hand to Right-hand system
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2010, 10:51am

Examples 17-15 to 17-17 in the blue Reas/Fry Processing book show you how to move around the coordinate system. Examples can be downloaded from the learning/books/ section of this site.
Re: Convert from Left-hand to Right-hand system
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010, 12:04am

Hi Reas,

Thank you very much for your reply!!! It's really honoured to receive this from you!!! I've been impressed with and admired your works, especially your contribution to the great open-source culture.

I'm shamed since I didn't realise so far that you included minus values in the scale function, even though I have had your blue book in my right hand since 2 years ago...

I've been developing some codes for calculations of solar insolations on architecture. Yes, I'm an architect, who has been enthusiastic for "fostering" performative architectural forms with codes. At the moment, my short-term goal is to realise a tool by which we can grow energy-efficient forms in an intuitive and feed-back way, rather than just analytical like most of "green engineering" applications, pervaded over us.

I really hope you will continue to develop this healthy tool and community, which will open a new world for us!

Many thanks and all the best,

Yukio

Yukio Minobe
Atelier Yukio Minobe
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1