We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › JumpMan Senior - a game sketch
Pages: 1 2 
JumpMan Senior - a game sketch (Read 3382 times)
JumpMan Senior - a game sketch
Mar 25th, 2010, 5:32am

Hi,
From my "Grabbing Springs" sketches I've got inspired for a little game where the only movement is generated by attaching the actor to nearby springs. This project can potentially turn into a full-blown game, but right now it is only a 6-level beta sketch.

As I am in now way talented at music & sound and also not great in graphic & design I would be interested in cooperation. So, if you like the priniciple game idea and think that you would like to help me develop it, just drop me a PM. (I'd also need people to help out with further level design & development of a "story" behind the game.)

Oh, and of course I am generally interested in feedback.

http://processing.tavernmaker.de/JumpMan

Finally, let me introduce the hero of the game: Smiley  Smiley
When you click on the link, he will follow you...
Re: JumpMan Senior - a game sketch
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2010, 6:21am

Ha, just completed all 6 leve. I love this game! add a timer, and more levels! i want competition  Cheesy
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2010, 9:28am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know when I update.
(Actually, there is a time included already which I want to use for the final score, but I had not yet the time to include it.)
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2010, 9:51am

Awesomeness!!
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2010, 6:59pm

Reminds me alot of gravity hook. Great game though. I got the level 3 and got stuck, I would love to see this as a full blown game  Smiley
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2010, 8:02pm

Great game! I found it extraordinarily difficult, but that's probably just because i suck at it. Very addicting though!
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2010, 1:50pm

A bit of physics, one key : a great -but hard- game !

With a bit more of physics and keys you sould test this one :
String theory
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2010, 3:34pm

yelele_eu wrote on Mar 27th, 2010, 1:50pm:
A bit of physics, one key : a great -but hard- game !

With a bit more of physics and keys you sould test this one :
String theory

fun game, but i dont like the control
Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2010, 2:15am

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
Inspired by Cedrics comment, I've modified the game (just uploaded it) so that it can be played by up to 4 players simultaneously.
It now also gives you a score based on how quickly the level is solved.
I've also added a 7th (even more demanding) level and some startup-interface using the G4P library.

As for the general difficulty of the game: It becomes easier over time  Smiley I have to know, bet who played the levels XXX times to make sure they work (and to nudge things around)  Cheesy
But if people would like to help me designing new levels, just drop me a line (or PM)...

@pwn monkey: I've never heard of a game called "gravity hook", could you point me to the proper place? I don't claim to have "invented" this game though, I think the ideas are pretty basic and might have been used in many other, older games (?).

@yelele_eu: Thanks for the link to "string theory". Haven't heard of that one before either. I like it's simplicity. Very inspiring.
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2010, 4:57am

yeah!! lets see what score i can get  Cheesy
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2010, 5:07am

2 things.

1. you have to change to leve 1 before you can start as the slider is set to 0 at the beginning.

ans second, did you change the control? its not controlable by mouse anymore ? and when playing with the space key, it doenst always react when i press the key.

edit: i see, you know about the slider problem Smiley
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2010, 5:27am

Yes, the slider thing seems to be problem of the G4P library. I could set it by default to anything BUT the first value (that's why you have 2 players by default).

And yes, I removed the mouseclick because it wasn't compatible for a "multiplayer" and I was temporarily using the mouse differently... It could be added quickly though.

As for non-responsive keys: Hmm, any ideas how to solve this? (..in which case we should open a thread in the syntax-thread. Which I now will do...)

And: What's your score?  Wink
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2010, 5:36am

maybe it has something to do if you use mouseClicked, mouseReleased, to activate it... worked much better for me when using the mouse.
maybe you can add it again for the first player only.
no score so far as i wait for the updated version Wink
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2010, 8:17am

@Cedric: Have fun. I've put the mouse-click in for 1st player again. Still I would like to know what I could do with the key-events... (see other thread). No response for that yet.
Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2010, 4:32pm

hehe great, i spend about an hour playing that game.
my score is 187224 i believe its not that bad....

i really like it.
how do you programm the maps? do you hardcode them?
Pages: 1 2