We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Can processing show multiple tabs simultaneously
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Can processing show multiple tabs simultaneously? (Read 2399 times)
Can processing show multiple tabs simultaneously?
Mar 24th, 2010, 11:02am

I wonder if there is a way to show multiple tabs inside processing sketch window simultaneously. For example, if I organized my patch into multiple tabs by class or functions, I want to see them all displayed to make more sense of the whole structure. Thanks.
Re: Can processing show multiple tabs simultaneously?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2010, 3:23pm

Not that I'm aware of...

I'll occasionally copy/paste some code into an external text editor if I need to compare snippets of code, but I'm not convinced this is going to help you "make more sense of the whole structure".

For one thing with a well written class you don't really need to know what's happening internally: you're just interested in the properties and methods it exposes to the rest of the application.  To some extent the same goes for functions...

There are various approaches to diagramming the structure of an application - I tend to just use a pen and paper Wink
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:20pm

This Topic was moved here from Programs by antiplastik.
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2010, 10:25am

I believe Processing is designed to be used for designers who comes from a non-coding environment and logic. So everything in processing might be more fluid, everything could be accessed and modified simultaneously, like a photoshop or after effect environment. Sure, Processing does need a simplified env to sktech idea fast and it did a great job already. But I think a simultaneous multiple tab feature would help those who gets used to much fluid creative process.
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2010, 5:01pm

I agree with the idea; it would be a nice feature. I can say that Ben and I won't be implementing it because there are many other features with higher priority. That said, Processing is an open source project and it's possible for someone to add this and then submit the code.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1