We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Where does Design, Sound & Graphic meet
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Where does Design, Sound & Graphic meet? (Read 3266 times)
Where does Design, Sound & Graphic meet?
Mar 10th, 2010, 3:54am

Sorry, if the subject title was misleading but I hope I could gather your attention  Wink

What I was really wondering was, what I would do if I want to start a Process project but would need the help of somebody good at sound/music or graphic/design (but not so good at programming) for a good "combined" result. Where would be a good place to look for cooperations?

Does anybody know any kind of forum/web-portal where one could announce project ideas (e.g. games etc.) and people with skills in specific areas could browse and contact those projects, which they might be interested in participating?
Oh, and I am speaking of spare-time/hobby/non-comercial projects.
Re: Where does Design, Sound & Graphic meet?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2010, 10:30am

This is definitely a good question.

I guess open-source portals like sourceforge or google code could do the job, but they are often considered as developer-tools, even if they provide more general tools like wikis, etc.
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2010, 11:53am

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I reckon you might be interested in these links
http://www.emergentmusics.org/theory
http://wiki.github.com/jashkenas/ruby-processing/gallery
The latter (see projects) is the closest to processing (ruby-processing) the former is python based (but more high concept).
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2010, 7:45am

So if people don't know about such a portal, would it maybe be a good idea to do it within the Processing site? After all there are more "pure" designers/artists in these pages than on most other "programming" related sites.

(Usually, programmers one can go to music/graphic related forums and ask for help with a project. Why not offer music/graphic artists the opposite possibility to come to a programmer based forum?)

I was thinking of a subforum like the "Exhibition" one, but with the name "Project ideas & coperation calls" or something similar. People could post their ideas and preliminary sketches their, and "content" (sound & grafic) providing artists or amateurs could pick projects they might want to participate.... Just an idea.
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2010, 1:29pm

i believe that is what "Events,  Publications,  Opportunities" is for. there are already a lot of jobs posted. so this is where i would start.

and i can think of a forum/board website that was doing exactly what you mentioned, bringing different people, coder, artists etc together. but i just cant think of the name...
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 5:10am

The 23-March-2010 edition of the BBC program Digital Planet should interest you guys. Features Brian Eno on art etc. (77 Million Paintings) Cool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/digitalp/
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 5:43am

you got me there... but don't worry, while it may border on misleading, it still caught my attention and did not in any way offend me (i guess it's the same with the others because nobody has complained....yet).

you might want to check odesk... i am not a promoter of this site but there are many (manyl, many) qualified people there who can meet and exceed your needs...

good luck mate!
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:23am

@audreyroblez Thanks, but that's for contract work, isn't it? I was more looking for a sparetime-project type of portal.
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:05pm

Re the BBC Digital Planet podcast (reply 5), these are time limited to seven days after broadcast (to download and keep forever for personal use if you like). So you are now to late to download....... Sad
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2010, 2:39am

I should have come here a bit earlier.. things could have been much easier..
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1