We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › developing for ancient PC network
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
developing for ancient PC network (Read 1393 times)
developing for ancient PC network
Feb 28th, 2010, 5:34am

in general, i am much more interested in how to use previous versions of java, than newer ones.  i doubt processing can change on the fly like that.  but perhaps there's a work-around or the site can post selected older versions of the program.

i am developing for a public school with a network of really old PCs.  upgrading is just not realistic.  about 50 computers, that are networked and online.  i don't know which version of the OS, probably Windows 94,  and foresee a lot of trial and error.  but am looking for things worth trying.

thanks,
j
Re: developing for ancient PC network
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010, 5:53am

probably should add that I looooove processing because i absolutely hate java.  too much rigamarole and nit-picky overhead for the result (as opposed to C, more overhead but better memory managing).  am guessing these PCs have an old shockwave plug in (those came with the browsers for years), probably not even an older flash plug-in, but would much prefer using Processing.  this is for prek-5th grade kids, so it's gotta look fun, not a great task for PHP (which would get around the old OS issue)

i use a mac because i hate memorizing (or looking up) steps.  i use OS 7, 10.3-10.6  have several versions (older and newer) of processing, but b.0148 seems to spit out .jars that are the most compatible for others.

thanks again,
j
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2010, 6:10am

Windows 94... That's a rare version. I knew only Win95 and Win98...
OK, irony apart, I have some old versions of Processing on my hard disk:
processing-0135-expert.zip
processing-0141.zip
processing-0143.zip
processing-0148-expert.zip
processing-0154-expert.zip
The expert versions come without Java, so maybe that's not what you look for if these PCs doesn't have Java.

For that it is worth, I just uploaded a 0135-expert version (for a limited time): http://filebin.ca/ofyjrg/processing-0135-expert.zip
See if it fits your needs.

Anyway, these old PCs probably doesn't have much memory, so running a Java application on them will be a pain, I fear...
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2010, 6:32am

Have a look at things like the One Laptop Per Child project. Not for the laptops, but for the operating system and software that run on them. If your PCs are about as powerful as these budget laptops, it could be a win... not Windows.

-spxl
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2010, 7:28am

thanks.

these are the school's computers they use for other stuff too, so i can't go changin the OS.  good strategy though.

is there a chart or something of what versions of Java Processing requires?  like Java 3: Proc. 0001 - 0200, Java 4: Proc. 0201, ... ?

or was it all Java 4 until recently?

gee, a command like Code:
System.getProperty("java.version") 

but Code:
IDE.getProperty("java.version") 

would be wonderfu?

j
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2010, 9:01am

Alas, authors truncated the release notes, but I kept a version of the old notes...
Selected parts:

ABOUT REV 0126 - 9 October 2007
+ We're giving up on Java releases earlier than 1.4.
 We don't have the means to test for them, and we're simply better
 off targeting a larger percentage of users given our resources.
 Processing has evolved a lot from its early days as a fast
 Java 1.1 graphics library, where we need to simplify things for
 ourselves by relying on Java 1.4 support across the board.

ABOUT REV 0135 - 21 November 2007
(last version with Java 1.4)

ABOUT REV 0136 - 29 May 2008
+ Switching to Java 1.5

ABOUT REV 0140 - 10 June 2008
+ Jikes has been removed, and we are using Javac as the compiler.
 - ability to support Java 1.5 syntax (only in tabs that end in .java!)

ABOUT REV 0141 - 11 June 2008
+ For better internationalization support, we've changed to UTF-8
 encoding when loading and saving sketches.

ABOUT REV 0143 - 28 July 2008
Now using ECJ (the Eclipse Compiler for Java) instead of Javac.

ABOUT REV 0144 - 9 August 2008
This is the first default download since release 0135.
+ Unlike release 0135 and earlier, a full JDK (not just a JRE) is required.

ABOUT REV 0145 - 15 August 2008
+ Now using JOGL 1.1.1 instead of 1.0.

ABOUT REV 0149 - 15 October 2008
+ Beginning with this release, all libraries should be placed in the sketchbook folder, inside a folder called "libraries".

ABOUT REV 0150 - 15 October 2008
+ Updated Java to release 1.6.0_07 on Windows and Linux.

ABOUT REV 0158 - 22 November 2008
+ Linux and Windows now inlude Java 6 update 10 with the download.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1