We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › my first processing project - a game of gravity
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
my first processing project - a game of gravity (Read 1554 times)
my first processing project - a game of gravity
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:38am

Hi,
having found the Processing language some days ago I've now finished my first Processing project, a little game (currently 5 levels) inspired by Pulsus from Anthony Mattox and based on the Physics library of Jeffrey Traer Bernstein.

It is not a great game, but I had fun doing it and I am learning as I proceed. Cheesy

I'd love to hear some comments.

http://processing.tavernmaker.de/
Re: my first processing project - a game of gravity
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2010, 8:01pm

Hi...the physics works well, well done. I think the first playable level is much too complicated - so many different coloured guns and attractors! I felt daunted. Start it very simple and build up.
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:22pm

i actually just did nothing and finished the first level... so its not really to hard, but Giles is right, its a bit to complicated. start with one gun, one collector and people will get the idea Smiley
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:26am

Cedric wrote on Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:22pm:
i actually just did nothing and finished the first level... so its not really to hard, but Giles is right, its a bit to complicated. start with one gun, one collector and people will get the idea Smiley

You were proably refering to "level 0" which is a demo-level only (You can't do anything in it anyway  Wink )
As for the first level being too complicated. I'll keep that in mind, but actually it is the most simple of the 5 levels as each attractor only bends one "beam" of color and all one has to do is to find one "bending point" after the other. All other particles are not influenced and neither gun nor goal can be moved.
(They could, from the program. But they can't in this level. After having done all the coding, I realized how hard level-design can become  Shocked Cool ...)
As for the physics: I can't claim responsibility here. I based the sketch on the physics-library of J.Traer, which works like a charm.
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010, 1:06pm

Cool. Completed it in.... 15 minutes or so. I enjoyed it. I agree that level 1 is very daunting. Level 0 is obviously nothing, but it is often better to introduce the concepts as you go.

maybe something like this:
level 0 - one emitter, one collector pointing at each other - labelled that this is the objective (nothing to do)
level 1 - one emitter, one collector, one attractor, just moving it to the right place in one axis very easy.
level 2 - one emitted, one collector, one repeller, as level 1, but set up to make it easy to fix to make them go right in.

then start combining them, adding more colours.

also, some of the colours are very close to each other, and very small. Maybe changing the area around the dots to reflect that colour as well.
Are the attractors/repellers different strengths? It would be good to have some visual feedback for this so we can learn how to identify them.

how about a time bonus or time limit decreasing, you get a score that is just how much time there is to spare. Smiley

Ok sorry, I'm only criticizing because i like the concept a lot; i'd look forward to you doing a bit more on it. Smiley

Ciao!
-b
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010, 12:20am

I like criticism (or feedback, as I'd call it), otherwise I wouldn't have posted it here. Smiley

I agree that my "visual design" could be heavily improved (let alone the audio experience...).
Yes, the strength of the attractors can be different and I might think of a way to visualize it... Maybe a circle when clicked on/dragged ?
As for the colors. I've realized some of them are pretty close. The reason behind is, that all my obejects are in arrayLists and that I give them a color according to the model colorModel(HSB,maxObject,1,1) with the hue-value going with the index. That doesn't say I couldn't change it though.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1