We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › selectFolder() strange interface
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
selectFolder() strange interface (Read 507 times)
selectFolder() strange interface
Feb 14th, 2010, 6:31pm

Just wondering why selectFolder brings up a different interface than the standard OS interface used with selectOutput. I want the user to select where to save a prenamed .pdf file, so selectFolder seems to be the way to go, but I don't like that my program won't integrate with the users OS as well as selectOutput would. Anyway around it?
Re: selectFolder() strange interface
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2010, 7:43pm

Wow, that is strange...  Shocked

My guess is that, since it's platform-specific, there's no way to change it. At least it does what you need it to do, yeah?
Re: selectFolder() strange interface
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010, 1:01am

selectInput and selectOuput uses AWT's FileDialog, which relies on the native system dialog to let select a file.
Apparently, AWT doesn't have support for folder choosing, perhaps because it is missing on some systems.
On MacOS, Processing uses an Apple extension to show a native dialog.
On other systems, it uses JFileChooser, a Swing component, which is created from scratch.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1