We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Longer story telling with generative programming
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Longer story telling with generative programming (Read 1124 times)
Longer story telling with generative programming
Feb 12th, 2010, 8:05am

I have been thinking a lot about narrative lately. How a sketch can evolve over time to become something new. and still artistically and aesthetically pleasing.

i guess this is the holy grail of generative art.

My concern with my work that it is very much one-dimensional. ie. it fits into the sketch paradigm. One sketch does one thing, perhaps with a few variations. And normally if there are evolutions they're slow.

I was wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts along the lines on how to make their work more dynamic, with regards to evolving generative art/systems?

i guess the constraints to apply to what kind of evolution takes places are as important as the evolution. i saw a video the other day where life systems evolved through interations with a certain task - walking faster, etc. will try dig it up again.

anyone have any thinking on this? or experience?

Re: Longer story telling with generative programming
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2010, 2:16am

One problem is that doing lots of different things requires lots of different code.

How many different things should and "evolving" piece be able to do?

A twisty line that is able to twist itself into different shapes might be interesting for a while, but what if you don't want a line forever and instead want 'solid' 3D objects, or swathes of blended colour, or video, or glittering particles...

And how do you transition between these things?

Have a look on pouet.net or scene.org for a demo crew called ASD (I think that's the one) from Greece. Their demos are simply stunning, and contain a lot of effects where scenes kind of morph into other scenes. I don't know how they do it... amazing.

-spxl
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2010, 5:14am

thanks for the ASD headsup. lots of interesting stuff there.

here's the evolution video i was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXzcPNsqGA&feature=related
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2010, 12:54pm

ASD = Andromeda Software Development

Check this out:

Andromeda Software Development (ASD) - Iconoclast - PC (2005)
YouTube Video

scene.org download

If you think the video is amazing, try the demo itself. It is realtime 3D-rendered software.

Freakin' amazing.

-spxl
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1