We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › goto80/Raquel Myers album release using PortaMod f
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
goto80/Raquel Myers album release using PortaMod f (Read 1233 times)
goto80/Raquel Myers album release using PortaMod f
Feb 12th, 2010, 2:15am

Prolific chipmusician goto80 and low-bit VJ artist Raquel Myers team up for this enoughrecords album release:

http://enoughrecords.scene.org/goto80_openfunksores/

The browser-based musicdisk (archaic demoscene terminology for a collection of non-rendered [i.e. non-MP3/etc] music, traditionally distributed on floppy disk) uses my PortaMod library for MOD file playback, synchronisation and visuals triggering and is also available as an mp3 download or as an executable for the Sony PSP.

New, fancier version of PortaMod will be out soon, but this is the first public release of a work which uses it the way it was intended to be used, hence my announcing it here Smiley

P.S. I sometimes have to explain why I think this way of doing stuff is pretty cool, especially when people are used to hearing sound coming from their browsers Wink Well, mostly, it's because this album is  25MB mp3 download, whereas the tunes, player and visuals combined total less than a megabyte. Maybe efficiency is redundant in our age of 1Gb/s connection speeds, but it's a fun creative limitation to work within Cheesy
Re: goto80/Raquel Myers album release using PortaMod f
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2010, 2:52am

yea, great work from mr. ps.
keep it alive.
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2010, 9:54am

you beat me to the forum announcement! Cheesy

actually the animated gifs make the thing larger then life, but there was no way around it, since raquel made them animated gifs from the start instead of realtime Smiley but the .mod /.xm tracks + player are well below the 32megs of the mp3s, yep.

just a quick promo venture for my netlabel. we mostly release mp3 only releases. this release is one of the few musicdisk exceptions. just wanted to upgrade it to html5 Cheesy cheers for the cool lib Smiley hope to use it again soon!
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2010, 1:05pm

Sorry : no sounds for me (just animated pictures)

IE 7.0.6 + jre 1.6.0_17
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2010, 9:15am

yelele_eu wrote on Feb 12th, 2010, 1:05pm:
Sorry : no sounds for me (just animated pictures)

IE 7.0.6 + jre 1.6.0_17

yeh, it was made for latest firefox (3.6)
you'll have to upgrade. sorry.

maybe applet with diff classid could work on ie7 but im not really going to support it, already had enough traumas with that at work, dont wanna re-live them on my freetime Wink
seems to work okayish in ie8 though (abit laggy gifanim, but sound works)

also has some glitches in opera, it seems they cant manage to destroy their java applets that easily. and i destroy the java applet object tag in the browser page dom every time a new track is loaded. not sure if its something wrong on their end or if i should have declared something better, or if i can call something myself to destroy it. anyone had any similar experiments with other processing applets wondering if its java applet itself or processing export default settings and my lack of knowledge on the java applet object tag.
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2010, 2:33pm

I need to look at PortaMod's behaviour when the applet gets destroyed, as sometimes the player keeps going unless you change page in the browser completely...but maybe that's not the cause of this problem. I need to reacquaint myself with my code, anyway Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1