We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Hacking a street tv screen
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Hacking a street tv screen ? (Read 1078 times)
Hacking a street tv screen ?
Feb 7th, 2010, 3:44am

Hi , i want to play some video on a street tv in a big city.

that tv is a publicity tv , its just throwing publicity all the time.

Do you know if there is a way to sent Radio frequency to that tv and make it play my video ?

I would play the video for around 5 to 10 minutes or as long as i can.

Any ideas on this ?
Re: Hacking a street tv screen ?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010, 3:59am

its probably just hooked up to a some video source. So i guess there is no way to do it.
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2010, 5:18am

hmmmmm seems viable if you're able to get to where the source is?

if you can't then I agree it's not really possible unfourtunatley
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2010, 5:41am

somehow with RF ?

there must be a way  i think ,but im a total ignorant on how it could work.

you really think its imposible ?

i dont know where the source is.

i can get pretty close to the tv  though . around 24 meters to it , its in a tube high.
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2010, 6:05am

totally agree with others: it's probably hooked up with a very simple video source, like a pc or a dvd player. The only other option I can think of is that it's getting the video stream from some kind of BTV provider, which means internet (wired and encrypted) or satellite.

In any case gaining control of the screen would be both difficult and, most of all, ILLEGAL would you really risk getting arrested?

a more viable option for "guerrilla-style visualism" would be outdoor projection.
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2010, 1:59pm

I used to work in a company that was displaying those videos. Unless you can hook inside using a cable, no wireless option will do.
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2010, 9:14pm

I wouldn't recommend trying to play video because you soon would be banned even if you were successful which probably isn't very likely.  They are showing advertising possibly from their computer because they are making money from these advertisments. If there is is interference, you would probably have to pay fines at the very least.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1