We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › How to use my cellphone's camera as a webcam
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How to use my cellphone's camera as a webcam ? (Read 3110 times)
How to use my cellphone's camera as a webcam ?
Feb 3rd, 2010, 6:20pm

Hey,I am wondering how can I  use my cellphone's camera as a webcam for my laptop?

my cellphone has bluetooth connection ,so does my laptop.

Is there any way that I can make my cellphone's camera work as a webcam?

thanks

Re: How to use my cellphone's camera as a webcam ?
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 9:25pm

Depending on your phone, you should be able to connect with USB cable.  You can also save your video on your phone and upload to laptop or email file to yourself.
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2010, 7:33pm

Li wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010, 6:20pm:
Hey,I am wondering how can I  use my cellphone's camera as a webcam for my laptop

my cellphone has bluetooth connection ,so does my laptop.

Is there any way that I can make my cellphone's camera work as a webcam

thanks

I believe you can naturally download your pictures through a usb cable. I don't think you can use it for a web cam though.
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2010, 11:29pm

LI,
I left a post trying to answer your question. So were you able to get it working? Cheesy
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2010, 4:47pm

Presently I am doing my final year project on this in Uni. Try the QIK platform or the Movinio package which is open source so you can change it to suit your needs. The system I am trying to develop is a WIFI networked system of camera phones. These phone will send content to a editing application I am building in Max/Msp. If anyone here has any knowledge on developing applications on the symbian 60 platform I would like to hear from you.
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2010, 11:43pm

Quote:
I think that with the current price of cheap webcams of around $15 - $25 here in the UK there seems little reason to use your phone.

That's the best idea yet.  It's cheap and simple.  No headaches about hooking your phone to anything. Grin
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2010, 1:58pm

Does anyone know of a specific app to control the iphone camera from a laptop?
Or better yet, to give iphone a video cam using software on the laptop, seeing as it only has a static photo cam?  Smiley

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2010, 1:29pm

if you have Nokia phones, or other that use symbian, you can use the Movino App. I used it and i could load images from my cellphone into modul8.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1