We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Best way to learn 'Processing'
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Best way to learn 'Processing'? (Read 3595 times)
Best way to learn 'Processing'?
Jan 22nd, 2010, 1:05am

Top of the morning to you,

My name is Alec Taylor, and I've just been accepted into Macquarie University's Bachelor of Information Technology.

I've now confirmed that we'll be studying with 'Processing'.

Could someone please recommend some articles, books &/or tutorials for me to read, in order to get a head start on the language?

Or maybe even a short course (in Australia) which I can take before
starting the degree?

Thank you so much,

Alec Taylor
Re: Best way to learn 'Processing'?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 1:12am

Look above, on this page: there is a Learning link which should be a good starting point.
There are also a number of books, some of them (whole or part) on the Web. For example: Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images ...
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 2:57am

look at openprocessing.org too - thousands of sketches, all with source.
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 7:15pm

My main question: Have you programmed (in any format) before?

If you have, learning about processing's own data types (and some native java stuff like arraylists) would be most useful for you. The PImage and PVector classes are pretty useful, you might also want to look into the push/pop matrix functions with regards to positioning (especially if you plan on working in 3d, which is easier than you might think).

If not, learning basic program control should be where you focus. Things like if statements and for loops. These are really the core of the work you do in any language. The first few tutorials http://processing.org/learning/ here are excellent for beginners, they're written very conversationally.
Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2010, 3:26pm

There are some great toturals at
"Learning processing". You can do a search for it.

They really helped me out.

Good luck,
FM
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2010, 10:02am

Being new at processing myself, I would like to add my request/question to this queue rather than filling the forum with similar questions.

I would like to extend the original question to this variant:

What is the best free learning source for Processing which I can access offline?

Or, in other words: What are the best things I could download in advance so that I can refere back to it when working with processing? Wiki's and online references/tutorials are great, but unfortunately those times I do have spartime to use processing, I am offline... Now are there any greate "compiled" resources for easy download, or do I have to snake-download hole websites, which I usually rather like to avoid.

Now, I know textbooks would be a greate alternative, but before I get that heavily involved, I'd like to have a cheaper option for a start.

I do have some programming experiences, so for me a set of references & examples might work best, but tutorials are also great.
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2010, 12:36am

Sorry for the question, but are there only english language tutorials? Anything in spanish maybe?
Thank you guys.
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2010, 8:03pm

A great way to lean processing is to look around the net at the many sites that have some information and then site down with a friend that knows processing and have them walk you though it
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2010, 8:54pm

another vote for openprocessing.org.  I learn best by picking apart others work and the open source code really helps.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1