We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › How do I pause recording while unbuffered
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How do I pause recording while unbuffered? (Read 1012 times)
How do I pause recording while unbuffered?
Jan 10th, 2010, 3:53pm

Here is what I am trying to do. I am recording long recordings so I decide to use unbuffered way so the recorded sound is streamed to my hard drive. Here if I decide to pause the recording and then resume later, how do I do it? I only found two founctions, player.beginRecord and endRecord. If I use endRecord to stop recording, then the next time I run beginRecord, my original file that has the content before I endRecord is overwritten if I use beginRecord. I know that you can use buffered recording but that will take up too much space in ram and not fit for recordings I'm trying to get, 10minutes long. Can someone give some help? Pause recording and resume recording without erasing what's aleardy recorded on the hard drive. Thank you.
Re: How do I pause recording while unbuffered?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2010, 11:27pm

Seems that you can use beginRecord()/endRecord() to append to the file.
Look in keyReleased() method:
http://processing.org/learning/libraries/recordlinein.html

Haven't tried it yet though. :\
Re: How do I pause recording while unbuffered?
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2010, 10:25am

Thanks NoahBuddy. I've tried and found the following results:
You may beginRecord() and endRecord() as many times as you like. Then if you endRecord() and save(), you won't be able to record any additional sound on the file you've recorded on. You may still call beginRecord and endRecord after you call save but once you call save for a second time, the lib reports an error trying to save.

Also if you try to play a .wav clip that you saved with multiple begin and end your slider bar on windows media player goes nuts but the clip plays normally. Then if you rewind and replay it the bar is fine. Interesting.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1