We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Interface (Read 858 times)
Interface
Dec 10th, 2009, 5:57pm

I'm attempting to port a website I made over to Processing however i'm having some issues with certain things. Can someone assist me or at least tell me where I can start I'm attempting to make a Apple style Accordion Menu I would like to be able to display website windows within the menu
Re: Interface
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2009, 10:09pm

I dont believe coding a website in processing makes a lot of sense. Maybe creating a website header but even then i would recommend flash. Processing is just not made for making websites.

but what you want is achieved by one of the javascript frameworks available. Mootools or Jquery for example.

http://demos.mootools.net/Accordion
http://jquery.bassistance.de/accordion/demo/

these are not really hart to implement

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2009, 6:15am

I was planning on using processing.js isn't this a translation of the library but only in javascript but the set up of classes are similar so if i write it in java I can port it easily to javascript based on the similarities between the tutorials that I have found
or am I way off
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2009, 7:56am

The "display website windows within the menu" is a bit mysterious for me.

Beside, as Cedric pointed out, using a good JS framework is probably a better solution, as the effect already exists and is probably optimized.

From what I know of processing.js (not much...), it is using a canvas (VML on IE) component to display stuff. It might be perfect if you plan to add lot of fluff, but it can be a bit of an overkill if you aim at simple things.

Not to discourage you, just to provide some elements of choice... Smiley
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2009, 10:47am

PhiLho  wrote on Dec 11th, 2009, 7:56am:
The "display website windows within the menu" is a bit mysterious for me.

Beside, as Cedric pointed out, using a good JS framework is probably a better solution, as the effect already exists and is probably optimized.

From what I know of processing.js (not much...), it is using a canvas (VML on IE) component to display stuff. It might be perfect if you plan to add lot of fluff, but it can be a bit of an overkill if you aim at simple things.

Not to discourage you, just to provide some elements of choice... Smiley

I was considering using the Processing library because i tend to run into issues with javaScript plus i'm not completly familar with mySQL and could probably make a log in system easier with java and a single file though I'm sure it could be done with javascript in a similar manner and I've been much more productive in processing than all my time in javascript and had thought Processing was a complete translation of Processing to javascript only I could use Porcessing.js in the exact manner I use Processing in

however i guess if you beleive the specific library for the accordian menu is better in javascript then i guess i will have 2 use it
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1