We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Processing -> Bluetooth or GPS
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing -> Bluetooth or GPS? (Read 469 times)
Processing -> Bluetooth or GPS?
Dec 6th, 2009, 7:00am

Hi everyone,

I'm building a prototype in order to finish a paper for a conference. I recently found about Processing and I'm still discovering what it can do, and what are the best approaches.

The idea is to have a system that detects when people are close to specific places, and warns them about it via vibration messages.

For that I'll be using the SHAKE (can't post links yet, but it's in Google Code). It can connect to a computer through a Bluetooth connection, and I can send it vibration commands (amongst other things).

I see three ways testing such prototype. One is to have a computer searching for Bluetooth connections in the specific places I want, and when one of them detects a SHAKE, it sends the appropriate vibration message through the Bluetooth connection.

The second is to have the SHAKE always connected (via Bluetooth) to a computer which the user will carry in a backpack. As soon as the SHAKE detects a Bluetooth connection from one of the specific places, the computer the user is carrying sends the vibration message to the SHAKE.

The third one is having the user carry a computer in a backpack, connected to the SHAKE and a GPS dongle (via Bluetooth), and when he's in the right coordinates for a specific place, the computer the user is carrying sends the vibration message to the SHAKE (via Bluetooth).

Using Processing, which of this is the best scenario? All the help will be useful.

(Sorry for the long text Tongue)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1