We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 
MIDI broken again? (Read 4602 times)
MIDI broken again?
Dec 5th, 2009, 9:34pm

I installed the "Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 6" update today and promidi immediately stopped working.

Anyone know of a solution?

Re: MIDI broken again?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2009, 1:37am

lucky you Smiley
my usb midi keyboard didn't work since 10.6 update.
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2009, 2:47am

Specifically I wonder if the new version of mmj, mmj64, might fix this.

This requires registration and purchase, though the price is cheap (E3.5).

If there's any evidence that it might work, I'll buy it.
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2009, 5:23am

I decided to purchase mmj64 (E4.5) and give it a try. No luck. ProMidi is still broken.

themidibus has some functionality (also, with the old, free, mmj) but gives errors in some cases, such as when listing connected devices.

Unfortunately i cannot recommend mmj64. Their purchase process is really clunky.
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2009, 3:37pm

I have the same problem. Installed the update and MIDI is broken. I guess we have to wait for a new MMJ release...

Is there any way to fix this? I need to have this project done next week.
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2009, 4:21pm

As mentioned above, parts of 'themidibus' library are still working.

Or, perhaps, uninstall the update?
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2009, 5:02pm

Not to ask a dumb question, but have you made sure that the mmj files have gotten copied over *after* the installation? It may simply have overwritten their spot in Library.

Anyway, the real point here is that we need an open source replacement for mmj, period. You can't rely on Apple because they dropped MIDI support long ago. And having a tool that simple that requires a license is just absurd... particularly given the fact that most people using Java at this point for music are doing open source development with it, and thus aren't interested in proprietary solutions (or, conversely, there's barely anyone out there to pay a license fee).
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2009, 7:39pm

I reverted the Java install and now it's working again. For those of you who wants to do the same:

http://chxor.chxo.com/post/183013153/installing-java-1-5-on-snow-leopard
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2009, 10:58pm

>... have you made sure that the mmj files have gotten copied over >*after* the installation? It may simply have overwritten their spot in >Library.

Yes that was my first idea too, and, no, that wasn't the problem. After installing the new mmj (aka mmj64) the problem with promidi remains.

Agreed about the need for an open source, or at least, license free solution.

Thanks, ronze, for the reversion link. I will probably undo the update too.
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2009, 5:13am

hum, weird...
i have in my eclipse (after i did a 'search' for VM,) 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. i am on 10.6 too.

i also try to start them in 32bits mode with the -d32 option. no luck.

h

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2009, 6:34am

Weird. Just no idea what would break that in the new Java, given that there *isn't* an implementation there in the first place. Disturbing, if Apple has in fact found a way to permanently break MIDI...
Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2009, 12:12pm

Hey all,

For themidibus, I have just been made aware of this problem. It seems that there is now some native MIDI support in the new java update, but it conflicts with MMJ and/or is somewhat broken.

So there is good and bad. Now Midi will work natively on Mac with Java, but it's broken in the shorterm.

I'm working on fixing themidibus (just starting now). I will post here as well as in themidibus topic when it gets done (time permitting) as well as putting a note on my website.

The only reason this isn't fixed already is that a) I'm extra busy right now b) I have to be careful not to break support for Windows while I'm fixing this.

On a side note, please feel free to e-mail me whenever you have problems, always happy to fix stuff time permitting. Gets fixed faster that way!

Sparky
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2009, 1:57pm

hi all,

trying to solve my midi problems on mac i  had wrapped the 3 main midi libraries available for processing (promidi, rwmidi and themidibus) so that i could try them all and fix the problem somehow. with no luck..

As you mention this java update now include a midi implementation, i tried removing all the midi implementation that we had to have on mac before this update. (mmj or mandolib)
surprise surprise !!
both rwMidi and themidibus worked like a charm !!
they display my midi controller with a new name compared to what i use to have before midi started to fail. but it works Smiley

thanks a lot for pointing out !

i am now wondering why is it needed to update themidibus ? Smiley

i hope it works for you too !

h

edit: i updated to the lastest version of theMidibus, and while doing so, my app now blocks when i call themidibus function. i checked the working version i have , its class files were compiled on the 18th of march 2009 at 2AM. if any one wants this version of the jar, send me a message : motscousus at google mail
so i am left with rwmidi that works...
http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=95
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2009, 10:54pm

Yes, older verisons of the midibus will probably work, but the newest won't. There is a conflict between a new workaround for a Windows bug and some errors in the "new" apple Midi Subsystem.

Should have a fix soon

Sparky
Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2009, 11:51am

Hey all,

So it's seems to be something very silly, only input devices can't be close, outputs can. Meh whatever.

Either way, it should be fixed now. You can get all the details on the MidiBus webpage.

You will have to uninstall mmj as mots mentioned. It says how to do so on the MidiBus page if you're not sure. Then install the latest midibus

Just for future reference anyone running 10.4 or earlier (like my PPC laptop!) obviously needs to leave MMJ installed because this java update doesn't apply to you meaning you are unaffected by this topic.

Please e-mail me if you're still having issues as I only had minimal time to work on this.

Sparky
Pages: 1 2