We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 
MIDI broken again? (Read 4603 times)
Re: MIDI broken again?
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2009, 1:13pm

I've installed the latest version of themidibus but I'm getting this error when I run Basic.pde:

"Invalid memory access of location 0x0 eip=0x92fd78d0"

I'm on OS X 10.6.2, and I have deleted mmj from /Library/Java/Extensions

Get the same error running a minimal example with promidi 2...

The stack trace follows--it looks like it's dying when it tries to access a list of midi devices on the system?

I'm Using Java SE6, and prefs are set to run 64 bit

Seems like a problem with Apple's implementation?

----

com.sun.media.sound.MidiInDeviceProvider.nGetName(I)Ljava/lang/String;+0
j  com.sun.media.sound.MidiInDeviceProvider.access$100(I)Ljava/lang/String;+1
j  com.sun.media.sound.MidiInDeviceProvider$MidiInDeviceInfo.<init>(ILjava/lang/Cla
ss;)V+2
j  com.sun.media.sound.MidiInDeviceProvider$MidiInDeviceInfo.<init>(ILjava/lang/Cla
ss;Lcom/sun/media/sound/MidiInDeviceProvider$1;)V+3
j  com.sun.media.sound.MidiInDeviceProvider.createInfo(I)Lcom/sun/media/sound/Abstr
actMidiDeviceProvider$Info;+17
j  com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDeviceProvider.readDeviceInfos()V+101
j  com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDeviceProvider.getDeviceInfo()[Ljavax/sound/midi
/MidiDevice$Info;+1
j  javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getMidiDeviceInfo()[Ljavax/sound/midi/MidiDevice$Inf
o;+36
j  themidibus.MidiBus.availableInputsMidiDeviceInfo()[Ljavax/sound/midi/MidiDevice$
Info;+0
j  themidibus.MidiBus.availableInputs()[Ljava/lang/String;+0
j  themidibus.MidiBus.list()V+0
j  Basic.setup()V+15
j  processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw()V+65
j  processing.core.PApplet.run()V+51
j  java.lang.Thread.run()V+11
Reply #16 - Dec 31st, 2009, 2:07pm

I found a workaround in an unrelated thread:

http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard

I had to install java 1.5

Wishing I never installed snow leopard...
Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2009, 2:24pm

Hey luke,

I have had other notifications of this problem ...

I'm working to get a fix that won't require you to install java 1.5 ... but I hadn't seen that other thread so thanks for the info.

Sadly progress has been slowed by to much christmas food

Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming shortly

Sparky
Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2009, 3:04pm

Oops, I think I spoke too soon. I didn't realize that 1.5 doesn't have support for external midi devices--I am unable to see my digital piano when I connect with 1.5, just the Java Sound Synth and Real Time Sequencer.  Oh, well.

@Sparky, thanks for all the work on the library!
Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2009, 3:10pm

If you're using 1.5 you can install mmj to get support for external midi devices

http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm
Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2010, 10:01pm

Hey again Luke,

I am assuming (from other report I got) that you are working with MAX/MSP open (if not please give me more detail about what you were doing during the error). There seems to be an outstanding bug between the new midi subsystem from apple and MAX/MSP runtime. For the moment I have no workaround (I'm going to try and find a nice way of reverting back to using MMJ perhaps). See my MidiBus topic for sample code of the bug.

Hopeful that's informative but I suppose not very useful.

Keep you posted as it develops.

Also I submitted a bug report to apple, you should do the same if you have the time.

Sparky
Pages: 1 2