We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › ChipdiscoDJ - MOD/XM/S3M performance tool
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ChipdiscoDJ - MOD/XM/S3M performance tool (Read 715 times)
ChipdiscoDJ - MOD/XM/S3M performance tool
Nov 25th, 2009, 2:59am

Hi all,

Having finally released my PortaMod mod/xm/s3m replayer library (see the Lib Dev subforum), I'm ready to show off my work-in-progress module DJing tool:

crayolon.net/chipdisco/chipdiscodj/ (sorry, I *still* can't post URLs!)

Like I say, work in progress - I do realise how ugly it looks at the minute! Doing this in Processing has been a brilliant learning experience which has helped me understand OOP properly for the first time. The premise is pretty straightforward - a dual-deck DJ mixing interface for tracked music modules (like Amiga ProTracker MODs, FastTracker XMs and ScreamTracker S3Ms) with a huge range of control/interaction features.

Change pitch without altering tempo, change tempo without altering pitch, crossfade, autosync both decks, separate playlists (saveable/importable), operate with PC keyboard or MIDI controller (thanks to MidiBus!), synced sub-pattern looping (a bit like using Ableton clips), live sample replacement, and the thing I'm most proud of...headphone cue-mix on secondary soundcard! So you can drop either deck to your private cue-mix, beatmatch the tune (or whatever), then throw it back to the main mix ready for crossfading Smiley

For people who still compose their music like this (and lots of us do, especially as chipmusic seems to be having a third or fourth renaissance at the moment), it's potentially much more interesting way of interacting with it in a DJ performance context than is possible with mp3 renders of the same music. Accessing and manipulating individual notes, channels and sequence-orders in this way just isn't possible with an mp3 Smiley Highly subjective to this niche, of course, but there you go...

Any feedback warmly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

(Tip: double-click the question-mark in the lower left to access the audio/MIDI config window. Changing MIDI controller doesn't always work in the browser, but secondary audio output should...read the docs down the page for keymappings.)
Re: ChipdiscoDJ - MOD/XM/S3M performance tool
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 3:30am

awesomeness on wheels!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1