We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › 'The package "cc" does not exist' (Ubuntu)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
'The package "cc" does not exist' (Ubuntu) (Read 9385 times)
'The package "cc" does not exist' (Ubuntu)
Nov 24th, 2009, 3:29pm

A few months ago I had everything working beautifully with an arduino set up with Processing running in Ubuntu to read inputs from a control box with a bunch of sliders, etc.

A few weeks ago I revisited this setup to show someone the box in action, only to find that I could no longer get my code to run, at all. It trips over 'import cc.arduino.*;' insisting 'The package "cc" does not exist. You might be missing a library' and reminds me that libraries must be installed in a sub-directory of the sketchbook folder called 'libraries'.

I knew that, and that's where it is - sketchbook/libraries/arduino - although the documentation here seems to be saying it's included with Processing anyway. I've had no problems setting it up in the same way on Windows or a Mac, either (though the Mac gives me other troubles).

It's probably significant that arduino doesn't show up in the 'Import Library' sub-menu, though the other contributed library I want to use does.

I've now tried this on several Ubuntu installations with the exact same result - surely I can't be the only person having this problem?
Re: 'The package "cc" does not exist' (Ubuntu)
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009, 4:06am

Ah... after some digging (via the 'history' of the download page) I tracked down a slightly older version of the library, which works just fine. The link is http://www.arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Interfacing/processing-arduino2.zip

...surely I can't have been the first one to have this problem!

I've now also reported this in the arduino forum.
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2009, 12:03pm

agreed
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010, 5:50pm

Hi.

I also reported the solution that worked for Mac OSX to the same Arduino forum:

Quote:
I had the same problem in Mac OSX and solved by renaming the folder  "~/Documents/Processing/libraries/arduino 2" to ".../arduino". That is why it was not found by the import statement.

When you add the Arduino.jar file it gets copied to the sketch folder then it is readily found by the import statement.

Hope it helps in other systems.
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2010, 12:06am

Same problem at Gnu/Linux Debian Lenny 32bit and Windows 7 64 bit.
Only the solution with >Sketch>Add File... work...or the older lib. But i think is not the best to use an older lib 'with all the ugly bugs inside'. Aeh, i mean i would like to use the newer libs.  Wink
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2010, 3:35pm

The Arduino website page that discusses 'Arduino and Processing(and Firmata') has two links, one older than the next.

Processing Library: processing-arduino-0017.zip (Updated 22 Sept. 2009)

Processing library for arduinoMega: processing-arduinomega.zip (Updated 12 Apr. 2010)

I think the contents of the second(newer) Zip file is incomplete; there should be a file called Arduio.jar in the <library> folder.

So i installed the contents of the older one and I no longer get the message  "The package "cc.arduino does not exist"

Dree
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1