We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Putting sketch on website receiving sensor inputs
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Putting sketch on website receiving sensor inputs (Read 1152 times)
Putting sketch on website receiving sensor inputs
Nov 18th, 2009, 3:28am

Hi,

I have tried to search for information about how to put a sketch on a website that receives data inputs from for example a motion camera on someone's laptop at work or for example from a series of motion sensors coming into someone's laptop via an arduino board.

I just want a processing sketch online to show movements in an office.

I am sure this has been done before and wondered if anyone has any experience in doing it or knows where to start researching it?

For example a friend of mine suggested perhaps saving the inputs as XML files that are constantly sent to the offices server and then the processing sketch reads the XML files using ProXML library. However, will this stream be immediate?

Pacchube might be an option? But you can only receive data inputs every 3 seconds.

Thanks
Re: Putting sketch on website receiving sensor inputs
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2009, 4:56am

The request is a bit unclear (or I am just dense). If I understood correctly, you have a server connected to some sensor, and an applet showing data from this sensor, right
Because an applet accessing hardware isn't really useful, most visitors wouldn't have this hardware.

The Network library has an example of server/client communication, it might get you started.
Re: Putting sketch on website receiving sensor inputs
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2009, 7:47am

Hi PhilLo,

Thanks for the response. I don't have anything set up yet. But what I intend to do is to connect a series of sensors to a processing sketch running on a website. I've got no idea to do that, but like you said it looks like I should start by researching the network library.

Thank you very much for that!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1