We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
P5 video output (Read 1909 times)
P5 video output
Nov 9th, 2009, 6:07pm

Alright, for my first of probably many questions for this community:

Is there some way to change my processing sketches output into a capturable video source? Some way to render it out, so that in another software, say Modul8 (or other VJ software), i can use it as a capture device and use my processing sketches in modul8 in that limited way, in real-time?

I'm asking because as I begin my foray into visual programming, I'd like to know if there is some way to transfer between my sketches, other video files, etc. in a VJ style context (no opening and closing sketches for people to see in a performance context), using pre-existing tools. I know I can export everything as .mov etc. but i want to be able to control the p5 sketches with midi controllers while blending them in whatever vj software I use.

I already know about Mother, and I'm looking into it. I'm just looking for other options that are right for me.

peace
Re: P5 video output
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009, 6:26pm

I couldnt find the threat about that topic, but we already discussed that some time ago. I believe we came to the conclusion that the only way is to use an external screencapturing software. But it there are some better ways by now, would be good to know.
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009, 8:08pm

I thought of that as an option, and it seems a bit... clunky?

Is there some way to open up processing sketches in quartz composer? You are able to use .qtz files in VDMX 5 and have control over them with midi etc. So that seems like a good way to implement it, if possible.

Is that what is going on here? youtube.com/watch?v=RPdQAI3K9EE or the other way around... in that case how did he get a .qtz into p5?
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2009, 4:09pm

Ok been doing more research...

Processing has been ported to javascript: processingjs.org
Quartz composer I believe can run javascript.

I don't know anything about javascript, but if this means i can write processing sketches for quartz composer, then use them in vdmx5, then i'd start learning right away. Can anyone verify that this is at all possible before i get carried away?

tanx.
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2010, 6:12am

are there any news about this topic?
i really would like to integrate processing/java into modul8 too.

a suggestion, though i really don't know how to do it:
is there maybe a way to use video-streaming or to work with open frameworks or c++ instead of processing/java?

how is it possible to setup something like a virtual camera in general? i tried to find information about this, but always end up without success.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1