We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Picture of a horse
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Picture of a horse (Read 1018 times)
Picture of a horse
Nov 6th, 2009, 6:16pm

Hi
New to processing so forgive if this is the wrong forum for asking this question:

I am trying to learn the language and work towards a completed project at the same time, which would involve simulating horse races based on the competing horses' running characteristics.   I'll worry about the more complex aspects of this later, but in the first instance I need a picture of an animated horse/ horses in Processing.   I was looking for an existing one that I can modify.   I've had a brief scan of the Exhibition section and tried in vain googling "Processing sketch of a horse" (it should be added that Processing is a rather unfortunate name for internet searches) all with no results.   Any ideas?

Thanks for any pointers
Re: Picture of a horse
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2009, 7:11pm

you wont find a processing horse sketch. and if you do so. then somebody just imported some images, vector files and played them in a loop. i dont believe somebody would animate a horse in processing like you would do in flash for example....

so maybe you should think about using images, maybe animated gifs for example. if you want to work with processing.
But i am not sure if that is a good way cause i didnt understand the "running characteristics" part you mentioned...

do you want a real simulation of running horses? so the horse that has the best motion runs the fastest and wins ? i guess you need to explain it a bit more
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2009, 9:16pm

thanks for the reply.

In answer to your question, running characteristics just means how a horse typically runs - take the record breaking mare Zenyatta who won the richest race in the world yesterday, she dwelt at the back of the field and won through right at the end of the race.

If we had several horses in a yet-to-be-run race, we could simulate the way the race might be run based on their running characteristics and other data (such as previous speed figures).   I would like to represent such a simulation in processing.   As I've yet to learn working with processing, I was going to start off with one horse and make that move, before moving on to a field of horses.

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2009, 12:19am

ok, now i understand...
just a good tipp. there is a timeline animation tool ( similat to a library) that you can install to processing. It allows you to define a curve as variable that changes over the time. So you can load differet "runnig characteristics" like, fast at the beginning, slow in the end. Same speed all the time etc. I would say thast a really good point to start with. Just search the board for timeline and tool...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1