We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Brain/ network program problem
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Brain/ network program problem (Read 1607 times)
Brain/ network program problem
Oct 24th, 2009, 11:12pm

Hi there...

I'm writing a program that has a central "brain" that builds a network of nodes, and sends messages out to the nodes across the network to do certain things, like increase their stem length, branch, and so on. It's in an early stage. I've got the messages travelling over the network, and delivering their commands to the nodes. Most of them go fine, but some of them are just shooting out away from the brain along directions that are not on network lines. The code was written (so I thought) to place every new message at the bottom of a stem connected to the brain. However, some are appearing in between stems and shooting out from that point.

Any clues would be much appreciated. The program is quite complicated, I'm sure more complicated than it needs to be due to my inexperience. I've tried to add enough comments to make it clear.

I'll add the code in the next messages.
Re: Brain/ network program problem
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:13pm

<removed code>
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:14pm

<removed code>
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:15pm

<removed code>
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:16pm

<removed code>
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:16pm

<removed code>
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:18pm

This is quite complicated, and I know it's a lot to ask for someone to get to grips with it and figure out what is wrong.... I don't really have anyone else I can ask, though.
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2009, 1:59am

A bit long, indeed. I fear I have no time right now to take a deep look.
For the record, for long listings like that, the forum (which limits length of messages and messes the indentation), it might be simpler to paste it in some of the free paste sites, like the ancestor pastebin.com or alternatives like pastebin.ca or pastey.net, etc.
Will go back to code later, if nobody takes a shoot at it. The base idea seems interesting.
Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2009, 8:33am

OK.. I was wondering about that. Next time I'll use pastebin....
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1