We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › processing workshop in Brooklyn (next weekend!)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing workshop in Brooklyn (next weekend!) (Read 1021 times)
processing workshop in Brooklyn (next weekend!)
Oct 22nd, 2009, 4:59pm

Hey folks.  I'm running a Processing workshop in Brooklyn next month.  Dollars from the workshop will go in part towards starting a drop-in afterschool hackerspace for kids, so, you know, a good cause.

Standard invitation/announcement pasted below:

The Parts and Crafts Collective will host a small, 2-day, intensive workshop in Brooklyn on computer programming for interactive art and computational design using the Processing programming language on November 21st and 22nd from 10:00am to 6:00pm.

The workshop will function primarily as an introduction to programming concepts for artists and designers who have little to no programming experience.  On the first day we will step through many of the fundamental concepts of programming and computation:  variables, logical control structures (loops, conditionals), functions, and objects, by playing with and modifying a series of interesting and fun example programs.  During day two we'll learn a bit about the wide-variety of resources for learning, creating, and sharing projects in the Processing world, some of the common basic algorithms for generative/computational design, and run through the iterative process of hacking together an interesting sketch -- designing, programming, playing with, and modifying a small piece of software.

Coffee and a homecooked and reasonably healthy vegan lunch will be provided on both workshop days.  Let us know ahead of time if you have particular dietary preferences/requirements and we'll do our best to honor them.

The suggested donation for the workshop is $50.  All of the events, classes, and workshops hosted and run by the Parts and Crafts Collective are free, or operate on a sliding-scale.  Donations greater than the suggested amount are deeply appreciated and help us create our projects and run our programs and allow us to work with people who could not otherwise afford to come to our events.  No one will be turned away based on their lack of ability to pay.

For more information, or to register, visit http://www.eventbrite.com/event/464394015 or send an email to partsandcrafts@gmail.com

Will Macfarlane hacks Processing for MOS -- www.mos-office.net -- a small, experimental, architecture firm.  His work with MOS has been shown at the Baltic Museum and the List Visual Arts Center.  In addition to his architecture work he teaches hacker/tinkerer/maker skills to kids, artists, and the rest of us, with the Parts and Crafts Collective -- www.partsandcrafts.org.
Re: processing workshop in Brooklyn (next weekend!)
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2009, 4:33pm

I'm just poking the forum again to tell folks that we still have some free slots for this workshop.  I'm teaching it, so you should probably take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt, but I think it's going to be awesome.

The basic premise, for me, is to try to run a workshop that I would've both loved to be a part of when I was starting to play around with visual coding, and also that I could have afforded to be a part of.

So, yeah.  This coming weekend!  Here's the registration link:

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/464394015
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1