We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › more extensive material in reference and learning
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
more extensive material in reference and learning (Read 1363 times)
more extensive material in reference and learning
Oct 1st, 2009, 3:56am

A repeated frustration I've met in learning Processing has been that the online examples and explanations given are too brief and often missing (what seems to me)  probable 'real-world' contexts for use. Consider the presentation of functions:

http://processing.org/learning/basics/functions.html

It doesn't actually explain what a function is or the constraints on its use within the syntax of the language. I have the Reas/Fry book, which is good and has some of this information there, but it is also not as thorough or systematic as a reference as I'd like, partly because it's aiming at multiple objectives.

I realize that as an open source venture, there are limitations to what can be done, but if there is a more comprehensive manual on the syntax available, please let me know.

thanks
Re: more extensive material in reference and learning
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2009, 9:35am

You can find lot of "real world" usage of these functions... on this forum! (and the Internet in general). Search is your friend.
But of course, such information isn't consistent nor comprehensive...
Re: more extensive material in reference and learning
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2009, 4:15pm

The documentation really frustrates me too. Processing examples arn't easy to search for
A. because it's scarcely used
B. Because of the name! Try googling for "transformation matrix processing" or "blurring image processing" and let me know on which page you encounter actual Processing code.

Good documentation is the basis for smooth learning. I find it very depressing asking every little thing on the forum, especially one that isn't too active (the community is still very small I assume). And having to look for answers in other languages' websites and then trying to adapt them to Processing (without documentation!!) is rather painful.

I understand that the developers don't owe anything to anyone, but I think it would be extremely helpful if they at least document superficially every built in class and function, so we know what's there and what's not. It took me a few days to discover that there's such thing as PMatrix - an integral part of all 3D manipulations - it's not on the reference.

Going to file a request for documentation Cheesy and good luck searching
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1