We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › PlayApp for Playhouse
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
PlayApp for Playhouse (Read 5079 times)
PlayApp for Playhouse
Sep 1st, 2009, 3:52am

Hello, I'd like to announce PlayApp, a processing library to stream processing sketches to Playhouse, an interactive lighting installation that will turn Liberty Hall, one of Dublin's most iconic buildings into a low-res colour display with sound.

PlayApp is a simple class that transmits every frame drawn by the sketch as a UDP packet. There is also a preview sketch that allows you to visualise your sketches as a 30x11 window animation on the building. Optionally, you can also take control of the top 'marquee' floor which has 7x5 greyscale pixels in each window, and use sound which will be broadcast on short range FM radio.

PlayApp as it stands can be used to display any kind of procedural graphics/ sound, or to visualise any kind of information from the internet.

We would love to show interactive PlayApp sketches which turn the building into an interactive sequencer or multiuser sketchpad, we are using osc to access the building from networked iphones and we are planning to add a way to get DTMF commands into processing via an asterisk server. However these types of applications will have to be run by special arrangement as they require more setup.

Playhouse will run from September 24th-October 19th.
Sketches and movies that play on the building will be documented with a camera facing the building and will be automatically archived.

playhouse.daft.ie/create/playapp/
Re: PlayApp for Playhouse
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2009, 6:04am

Thats pretty amazing, i will definitely take part. Is there any kind of deadline?
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2009, 6:31am

The building goes live September 24th.

Any work received before the project is over (October 11th) will be considered.

Tim
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2009, 7:35am

I just had a thought about this. It would be cool if the sketches had access to the live documentation camera feed. People could add feedback and computer vision stuff.
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2009, 7:47am

Thats a really interesting idea, I think it would be possible already- we will be streaming on ustream.tv- just a flash stream- if there is a way to decipher it.

I think it would be very hard to develop though, how would you test it without access to the building installation?

Tim
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2009, 10:24am

so you will be playing music
i was wondering, i could enter with some audio-reactive realtime demos with a lower resolution that fits better to the building.
i've tried this two with the simulator and they looked ok, even with live music:

Sunflower - http://www.pixelnerve.com/v/2009/08/27/sunflower-source-code/

We - http://www.pixelnerve.com/v/2008/10/06/we-video/

let me know if it's worth it.
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2009, 10:36am

Hi- I think some abstract music visualisation is a great thing to show on the building.

We are paying license fees for radio broadcast of music as a radio station so you can use any music AFAIK.

We won't really be playing music seperately, although there will probably be a track that plays when a sketch or animation doesnt have any sound.

It would probably be best if you included the audio in the sketch as a sound file.

Tim
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2009, 10:40am

there are some dependencies that needs to be installed in order for the demos to work in case you need to run it from processing. to avoid those problems i think executable should work just fine aslong as they set up the client. correct me if i'm wrong.
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2009, 3:42pm

If I understand you correctly, the answer is that We will either need to run it from processing or have the source, as we will have to configure the hostname of the server to send the frames to. So we will probably have to install the dependencies.
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2009, 2:08am

ok. i'll attach a readme file with everything that is needed.
thanks
Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:23am

Tim Redfern wrote on Sep 1st, 2009, 7:47am:
I think it would be very hard to develop though, how would you test it without access to the building installation

Yeah that would be a bit of a problem. Maybe people could do rudimentary testing and setup on some pre-recorded video of the building not displaying any sketches. I don't know if anyone would be able to set it up for this particular exhibition but maybe something to keep in mind.
Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2009, 9:15am

nb I just updated this to version 002. Now it plays smoother.

http://playhouse.daft.ie/create/playapp/installation
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2009, 1:53am

Hey Tim, i was about to programm some visuals for the playhouse using the playhouse app. But i have to admit that i have some problems using the processing Libary. It runs , but i am not sure how to use it.
I can create graphics on a pixel basis, and not in the windows maxtrix.
Maybe most of this would be more clearer if i would know how, to use the display Mode to preview the animation.

Could you give some more details or an example on how to do this.
Thx
Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2009, 5:27am

OK sorry I thought it was fairly clear.

1. Open the 'preview' sketch from the library examples and press play
2. Open your own sketch in another window, import the playApp library and creat an instrance of it.
3. Press play in your sketch, you should see the preview of how your sketch will look in the windows.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1