We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Are there any commercial games developed in Proces
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Are there any commercial games developed in Proces (Read 1483 times)
Are there any commercial games developed in Proces
Aug 25th, 2009, 6:48am

Are there any commercial games developed in Processing? And if so can you provide me some links? Or is Processing purely for experimental stuff?
Re: Are there any commercial games developed in Proces
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2009, 11:32am

I know of very few commercial games developed in Java, let alone Processing.  E.g.:

Puzzle Pirates
MegaCorps Online [defunct]
Tribal Trouble
Wurm Online

Processing is no less suited for game development than Java, and with multiple sound libraries, option to use wrapped or pure OpenGL, and a server/client library, it's actually great.  The fact that it isn't used often means nothing.  Target Defense: Laser Syndrome is a great game that was posted in the forums recently.  My own project is Wayfarer.  Neither are "commercial," but that has never had much bearing on quality.
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2009, 6:42am

Unless I am mistaken (that's from memory), you can add Runescape, NosTale, Wakfu to the list of well known commercial Java games.
Not to mention numerous applets, like BookWorm. I see Java Game Tome lists a good number of these games.
But doing such commercial game with Processing might be a pain, compared to using an existing game framework/library, that would wrap sprite, collision, etc.
But of course, it is still fun to do small games with it! Smiley
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009, 6:51pm

Actually, if you're not interested in the OpenGL aspect, PulpCore might be a good choice:

http://www.interactivepulp.com/pulpcore/
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1