We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › ChemDrill
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ChemDrill (Read 1030 times)
ChemDrill
Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:11pm

ChemDrill is a non-graphic, nothing fancy Processing applet for practicing   chemistry formula names and ion charge values. Here Processing is used in a way it may not have been intended for.

http://science.jburroughs.org/mharris/ChemDrillindex.html
Re: ChemDrill
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:51pm

hard to test without any knowledge Smiley
but would be nice to see the source, did you remove it on purpose?
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 6:04pm

The source has no purpose in context with the end product. So it is not present. I had not anticipated that anyone would want to see the source.
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2009, 11:08am

I had a play with this and I would like to share a few observations.

The very first question I got on the 'Names' game was N2 I answered nitrogen and it was deemed to be incorrect because it said the answer was "Nitrogen Gas". This is technically wrong since N2 also applies to liquid nitrogen. Nitrogen is the name; gas is the state.

One question asked for the name All - (the font you are using has the same character for lowercase 'L' and uppercase 'i') after a moments thought I realised what it was - 'aluminium iodide' again I was wrong but this time it was because being from the UK I didn't use the American spelling same thing with sulfate/sulphate.

I tried the 'formulae" game and had iron acetate rejected because the answer was Iron (II) Acetate. (I know iron can have a valency of 2 or 3 so is there an Iron (III) Acetate - I don't know Undecided )

Overall a nice idea for budding chemists  Smiley
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2009, 8:28pm

The correct answers to the drill are as per the instructor who uses the drill. I suppose any of the gas answers are state specific.

I will look into changing the typeface. I had the same problem myself trying to recognize the question.

The question/answer data set is a list of pairs Name<->Formula and Name (Formula)->Charge. The drill simply matches the current response string to the corresponding answer. Formula answers must be case correct. The data structure is not set up to handle alternate spellings. The question/answer data file is a simple text file but in the application version I choose to have the data file present in the data folder when compiling so that a student would not be able to alter the data set. I know what I would be tempted to do myself.

My dictionary lists -las before -lae for the plural form. I guess it is local edition.

I believe there is an Iron(III) in the drill. There are a number of compounds like that in the drill.

Thanks for the comments.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1