We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › minim: can i read in all sound, not just line in
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
minim: can i read in all sound, not just line in? (Read 1867 times)
minim: can i read in all sound, not just line in?
Aug 12th, 2009, 3:59pm

Hey,

this may be one of the most asked questions of all time, but is it possible to read in the current waveform for ALL the sound on your computer, e.g. whats playing out the speakers and NOT just the line in?

I would like to be able to play mp3's or use sound from other programs and have processing do visuals on it. so far i've only read in mp3's or used the line in, but it would be nice to do something like have my normal media player program in the background with music queued, and a processing program in the foreground for the visuals.

is this possible?
Re: minim: can i read in all sound, not just line in?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2009, 4:53am

yes

set your soundcard record properties accordingly
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2010, 6:55am

ps wrote on Aug 26th, 2009, 4:53am:
yes

set your soundcard record properties accordingly

PS, could you give an example
Windows or Mac rigs, Starkes

I believe this may be possible on Windows with the sound settings, but I do not know of a way to do this on a Mac without additional hardware.
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2010, 1:50pm

I'm on windows and tryed to get it to work the majority of the day.  Here's what I have.

27in 1080p vizio hdtv
17" hp 4gb dv7-1130us win7 x86-64
sony ps3
hdmi cord
vga cord (with builtin audio)

I currently have my laptop broadcasting to my tv (on hdmi or vga, saving hdmi for ps3).  Since I am striving to have my lid closed, I'm essentially positive the microphone won't pick up anything useful (sound will play from tv).  Essentially, everything could work if I can get my processing app to grab what's sent to the speakers.

Until then I'm working on an application similar to what flight404 has done.  It'll be similar, but be more finely tuned for the day-to-day noises.  I thought it'd be cute if when there were loud noises the background would be darker and red, and due to other sound phenomena, the shapes would turn and twist to the sounds, and hopefully pulsate with any sounds that may occur.  I can't wait  Smiley
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 4:22pm

I just started doing some audio reactive stuff lately and this is what I wanted too. I achieved it pretty easily on this Windows computer. It has integrated Realtek ALC889 audio on the motherboard and the control panel that comes with the drivers has a stereo mix on the part where you choose the audio input. I put it on that one and now Minim picks up all my output audio on the input line.

I came across this post pertaining to Macs when I was reading about this stuff today. There is apparently some software that might do the trick.

I had a TV tuner card a while back that came with a patch cord which is just a little cable with a male 3.5 audio connector on each end. You could plug that into both the output jack and the mic/input one and use a splitter if you have to have speaker in that jack as well.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1