We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › NewB/ Sound on Mac: Output garbled
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
NewB/ Sound on Mac: Output garbled (Read 3795 times)
NewB/ Sound on Mac: Output garbled
Aug 23rd, 2008, 5:18pm

Hello,
I'm experiencing some kind of waveform distortion on the right channel of my output when I use Ess/ Sonia/ Minim to play an MP3/WAV/AIFF file.

Does anyone else experience this and is it a bug in JAVA for the Mac?

OSX 10.5.2 Intel Core 2 DUO J2SE 5
Re: NewB/ Sound on Mac: Output garbled
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008, 7:55pm

I do believe it's an Apple JAVA bug somewhere between OS 10.5.2 and my Intel book (2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo) with any processing-based library (I haven't checked going deeper down into JAVA to see specifically what's going on).

On my 12 inch 867 power mac G4 laptop (10.5.4) it's fine.

I am going to upgrade the intel to x.x.4 and find out what happens.
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2008, 1:46am

Upgraded to OSX 10.5.4. Somethings funky with my machine. Issue's not solved.

Good news is that it affects no other machine it's been tested on (including another intel book).
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2008, 2:52am

I'm so glad to see someone else who has posted about this problem. I am hearing exactly the same thing with wav and aiff files. I'm only using Ess though (haven't tried other sound libraries). I'm running OS 10.5.5 with (from what I can see from the system profiler) Java VM version 12.1.0. Has anyone found a resolution or confirmed that this is a bug with Java on Macs?
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2008, 3:34am

Jafish, this is the bizarre thing: I restarted my Intel book one day and the problem went away. If science (and computer science) teaches us to isolate the problem and fix it, this problem fixed itself as the number of parameters increased.

I would suggest upgrading to 10.5.5 and restarting a bunch of times. I can't give any guarantees. It just seemed to work for me.
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2008, 3:07pm

I suppose this would be a bug but not on all macs.... I have the same exact problem with my macbook pro core duo but with my 24" imac core 2 duo everything is just fine =( just have to pray everytime i restart for it to go away
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2008, 7:42pm

I was hoping that the recent Java update for Macs would solve this, but unfortunately it's still happening for me. I don't have another Mac to test it on, but I'll post if I find anything out. It's hard to start addressing the problem when I can't find out where it's happening!
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2009, 6:54am

I posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I'll repost here to make sure anyone else with this problem finds what worked for me.

This thread on Apple's website follows the same problem:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7304776

Changing the sample rate to 44100 in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app seems to fix it.
Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2009, 9:00am

Thanks! That fixed the problem for me too.
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2009, 9:51pm

Wow and for me thanks!!! =)
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2009, 8:05pm

I just want to add that when you change the MIDI setup in System Preferences, make sure to toggle the items in the "Properties of:" drop down menu to get the Audio Output area to become active.  Before, I had it set on "Internal Microphone," and thus I could only access the Input settings. I had to change that option for the Output area to become active.

-Seb
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2009, 9:27am

Yay this works perfectly.
Funny that the problem started for me when installing 109
Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 1:31pm

problem solved as well here. ive just registered to say thanks for doing the research work.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1