We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › PDE editor status bar
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
PDE editor status bar (Read 2253 times)
PDE editor status bar
Jul 15th, 2009, 1:34pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any way to write messages to the status bar in the editor (the one that appears just below the code box). I notice that in the PApplet source that the status() function is intended to do this in the future, but I am wondering if there is any way that it could be implemented in my povray library (i.e. does a PApplet have any access to the editor at all).

I only ask because I would like somewhere to display rendering status (i.e. rendering frame #1, 50% complete) without flooding the console with messages.

Cheers,

Andy
Re: PDE editor status bar
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2009, 3:21pm

I can't imagine any way to be able to do that. But I should leave it to hackers to figure this out.

I guess you can hack the source code of processing, to have it receive some message from your applet and update its title bar. But that would be very painful to figure out...
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2009, 10:13pm

I agree with msinan, the sketches are quite independent of the PDE, beside the pipe to get stdout/stderr.
Not sure to understand the connection with POVRay. You have a sketch calling it for rendering? Why not display the information in the sketch itself? You can even spawn a separate Frame (or JFrame?), I think, I saw examples on the forum.
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2009, 6:39am

It isn't a sketch, I am writing a library (which already works) that extends the P3D renderer and renders sketches in Povray (meaning that no code changes need be made). I am outputting the frame completion to the console at the moment, it just gets a bit flooded when the frames are rendering quickly (causing syslogd on OS X to use a high amount of CPU while it tries to keep up)

I might try the JFrame idea though.

Cheers
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009, 6:01pm

I do not know if this applies but when developping tools you can import the Editor class from inside pde.jar which is next to the core.jar file in the processing "lib" directory. Tools support displaying messages in the notification area. I do not know if it works in Libraries but you can try Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1