We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Plot of measured temperature
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Plot of measured temperature (Read 1234 times)
Plot of measured temperature
Jul 15th, 2009, 4:26am

Hello,

I dont know anything about Processing (but I would like).
I also would like if you could post some code about making a plot of a measured temperature. Values come from an electric termometer through serial port.

Is it a easy thing to do with Processing?
I saw one program like this coded in Python, but Im more atracted to learning Processing (since I'll learn Java in the university) than Phyton, and also because of similarities with C language which I already know.

I would like to know your opinion, and if you could post some coud about this it would be great.
(I found searching for "processing" in google is quite hard...)
Re: Plot of measured temperature
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2009, 4:45am

Quote:
Values come from an electric termometer through serial port.

Is it a easy thing to do with Processing
I think so but I won't show code as I have no experience with using the serial port in Processing. See the Serial library, search the forum, in particular the Electronics, Serial Library section.

Quote:
(I found searching for "processing" in google is quite hard...)
Yes, that's a common complaint, too late to change now... Smiley
Funnily, the Fan programming language has hit the same issue of using a common English word for name, and they thought about changing this name to something more unique, with a better Google experience... But well, they are much younger than Processing so they can afford the change, I think.
Re: Plot of measured temperature
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2009, 6:45am

I've worked with some students using Arduino boards and stuff for serial input. It's quite easy to get the data in. After you have the data, you just have to do stuff with it, and if you already know C, that part will be cake. You'll just have to familiarize yourself with the drawing functions, which are all pretty straight forward.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1