We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Discussion on the JBox2D with BoxWrap2D Tutorial
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Discussion on the JBox2D with BoxWrap2D Tutorial (Read 2948 times)
Discussion on the JBox2D with BoxWrap2D Tutorial
Jul 7th, 2009, 11:27pm

This thread is intended for comments, remarks, suggestions and questions about my JBox2D with BoxWrap2D Tutorial.
I will try and answer, but other people are welcome to answer as well! Smiley
Re: Discussion on the JBox2D with BoxWrap2D Tutorial
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009, 12:28am

No question, just thanks for your effort!
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2009, 11:15am

I really appreciate the time you put into this! I had initially looked at the library a while back when it first came out and it was seemingly unfriendly, so I didn't really hop in and test it, but you have shown me the light Cool. Downloading it now to start making some games Smiley Thanks again!
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2009, 3:40pm

Well I thought I'd have a look through your tutorial but now I'm feeling like a total noob: I can't figure out how to install the library in Processing and that's something that isn't mentioned in the tutorial or in fact in any of the docs I've found so far - it's just assumed you'll know how to make it work.

Now this might just be a warning to me: "if you can't even install the library don't go any further..."; but I'd like to learn Smiley

Perhaps it's because for some nostalgic reason I've stuck to using the Processing IDE rather than moving over to Eclipse, but that sounds too much like proper Java programming  Shocked

Any suggestions?
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2009, 1:51am

Suggestion Look at the Libraries page, it describes where to put Processing libraries.
In Library doesn't exist thread, I try to clarify a bit the explanations.
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2009, 2:48am

Doh!  Looks like I should have been looking at the Import > Library menu to check if it installed successfully rather than relying on the SwingingDemo example working...  I've installed plenty of Libraries without problem, so knowing where to put it wasn't the issue; it was just that whenever I ran the example it said something was missing.  I guess the library has been revised since the demo was written.  The following import statements can be removed from SwingingDemo and it then seems to run fine...

import org.jbox2d.testbed.tests.*;
import org.jbox2d.util.blob.*;
import org.jbox2d.testbed.timingTests.*;

I must admit I was also confused about the import statements used, but then I don't pretend to understand Library structures.  I see that "org.jbox2d" is contained inside "\boxwrap2d\boxwrap2d\library\boxwrap2d.jar", but wonder why you don't need a reference to boxwrap2d in the path.  Presumably boxwrap2d just does some magic to register the org.jbox2d library in Processing at runtime?
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2009, 6:33am

Ah, you are not the first one to trip on this old example!
In my tutorial, I have put the following comment:
// Import everything exposed by JBox2D (except the testbed stuff)
because of that.

And I think it is the reverse, Processing is using some Java magic to tell to use all jars in the libraries folder, if needed.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1