We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Forum : Font-size is too small (Read 4152 times)
Forum : Font-size is too small
Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:18am

Dear administrator

I think the font size of the forum is too small. I suggest to use font size 14.

Rgds

duckrabbit

Re: Forum : Font-size is too small
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:56am

Dear duckrabbit.
I find the font size you use uncomfortably too big. I fear you can't please everybody.

The wonderful thing with the Web is, if you have a good browser, you can easily customize the pages to your liking.
For example, with user style sheets, with Stylish (or Greasemonkey) extension in Firefox, etc.

I just tried, you can put:
div.message { font-size: 14px !important; }
in your stylesheet to get a bigger font.
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:14pm

You don't even need to write CSS code.  In every modern browser you can easily change the size of the text.  In Safari, for example, you can use the View -> Zoom In menu (shortcut <cmd>+) to enlarge the text in the browser window.  In Firefox, you would use almost exactly the same command in the View menu (shortcut <ctrl>+ on Windows).

Of course, if you use that CSS blurb appropriately you don't have to bother hitting those two keystrokes when you read the forum.  That's exactly what the "Cascading" in CSS is for.
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:30pm

Well, the font of this forum is set to an absolute size, in pixels.
Older (?) versions of Internet Explorer are unable to resize fonts set this way. That's why you will find all over Internet advices to avoid using absolute sizes.
Now, my advice is to use a decent browser, so the problem should go away too.
Advantage of things like Stylish is that you can set up the styles per site, depending on your needs.
But if you have a problem of vision, of course you want to set a bigger font to most sites.
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:57pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about Internet Exploder.  IE7 does, indeed, fail to resize for this forum.  I guess if you're using a broken browser you don't have as much control.  Smiley
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 6:18am

Dear Administrator

I use Linux  + Gnome + Firefox. There may be a difference on the display of the SAME font-size on different OS or browsers. The font-size looks  small in Linux . Do any one browse the forum page with Linux?

Rgds

duckrabbit

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 7:06am

I use Linux + KDE + Firefox. Fonts in this Forum look like everywhere else. Fonts in your message look larger though.
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 7:14am

There are a number of Linux and Mac users among people going to this forum.
Note that it might also depend on your screen, too... (dpi resolution)
As I pointed out, setting the font to px units might be the issue: if, in Firefox (Windows), I set the default font size to 24 instead of 16, this forum is unchanged while the Reference page becomes bigger (except the navigation menu).
Now, Ctrl+mouse wheel or Ctrl++ or Ctrl+- do their job of resizing the fonts.
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 8:04am

Dear PhiLho

The point you mentioned in Reply#7 might be the case. The font-size in the reference page is OK. Then I browse the Download page, Learning page and Exhibition page. Their font-size is also fine.
That means  I need to Ctrl + mouse wheel every time I browse the forum page?

Rgds

duckrabbit

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 9:02am

Well, I mentioned Stylish, it is a nice tool that might have its uses beyond this forum.
Otherwise, you can just create your user stylesheet.
Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2009, 9:32am

Dear PhiLho

Thank you.

rgds

duckrabbit
Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2009, 11:28pm

You are welcome. I know these tools are not obvious to use if you don't know CSS, but it is worth learning the bases to control what you see in your browser (at least the form, if not the content! Wink).
Another precious tool to inspect a page and see what to customize: Firebug and its Inspect tool (and live CSS edit!).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1