We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Problem with arduinoscope
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Problem with arduinoscope (Read 1353 times)
Problem with arduinoscope
Jun 15th, 2009, 11:29am

Hi,

I found the processing based application arduinoscope that combines arduino board and processing to a simple oscilloscope (code.google.com/p/arduinoscope/). The problem is that I can't get it working. When I have arduino running with right schetch and open the arduinoscope.exe the GUI looks fine, but there is no graph. If I open the source schetch with processing I get the GUI again but still no graph. My arduino gives sensible readings in arduino's own serial monitor, nothing in processing. With other schetches I have got readings from arduino to processing.
I'm quite new with processing and after trying several ideas how to fix the problem I have to give up. Any ideas what to try ne
Re: Problem with arduinoscope
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2009, 3:32pm

Have you confirmed that the rate in the Processing serial connection matches that in your Arduino sketch?  That would be the first thing I'd check.  Depending on the Arduino code you may also need to send a byte from Processing in order for a message to be sent, though in this case you'd also need to do this when you connect to the serial port from the Arduino interface, so it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

After that things get a little more tricky.  Are you using println to display received messages in the Processing output window?  You obviously need to confirm what, if anything, is getting through and this should help confirm that...  If something is getting through, and it is intelligible, then I'd guess the parsing routine in Processing needs fixing.

Not sure how much any of that helps - must admit I'm fairly new to Arduino and have only run a couple of tests with it and Processing...
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2009, 1:05pm

Thanks blindfish,

Your answer helped a bit forward. Now processing sketch and arduino find each other, and arduino is sending data. The main problem is now that I can't find the signal eg. not getting a graph on the oscilloscope GUI.
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2009, 1:32pm

Well I guess you now need to make sure the data coming through from the Arduino matches what the Processing code 'expects':  println() the serial data to see what you're getting, then check the parsing routine in Processing and make sure it's getting the data format that it needs in order to feed the data into the graph.  I'd guess you're assigning the values to variables so you could println each of these too - maybe some of them are working and others not; so that should help identify the culprit.

BTW I just noticed there's a forum dedicated to this kind of question.  It may be worth posting follow-up questions here, then your question will be seen by the best people to give you an answer Wink
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2009, 4:09am

Thanks again. Sorry about delay, I've been of this project for some days. You are right about the forum. If this arduinoscope is continuing to trouble me, I'll move to the other forum.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1